2023 Undergrad Summer Internship – Merchandising (Hybrid)
Our past is full of iconic moments — but our future is going to spark many more. Our brands — Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Athleta, INTERMIX and Hill City — have dressed people from all walks of life and all kinds of families, all over the world, for every occasion for more than 50 years.
But we’re more than the clothes that we make. We know that business can and should be a force for good, and it’s why we work hard to make product that makes people feel good, inside and out. It’s why we’re committed to giving back to the communities where we live and work. If you're one of the super-talented who thrive on change, aren't afraid to take risks and love to make a difference, come grow with us.
Job descriptionAbout the Role
Our passion is what sets us apart - we're not just here to execute, but also to learn, grow and innovate on what's next. Every summer, we invite talented rising seniors to join us for a challenging, hands-on experience in the retail industry. We designed our 9-10-week program to include many elements to help you contribute and grow during your summer at Gap Inc.
The Gap Inc. Summer Internship Program combines meaningful work experiences with exposure to different areas of our business to give interns a unique opportunity to expand their functional knowledge as well as exposure to the fast-paced retail industry. You will work on impactful projects that contribute to our bottom line, and you will have the opportunity to present to senior management. Interns who meet & exceed their individual goal plans during the summer will receive a full-time job offer to begin after graduation.
In addition to daily work and projects we invite you to participate in fun interactive events that bring our interns together as a group throughout the summer for a variety of experiences ranging from cooking classes, executive speaker series, trivia hour, & more!
This role requires you to work in our San Francisco or New York HQ offices, however teams are still operating under a hybrid work environment so you will not be required in office every day. Please note that work schedules and in office reporting requirements may change from time to time based on business needs. Interns in these locations will be offered the benefit of corporate intern housing.
Our Merchandising Intern will get exposure to the buyer/merchant role at a global vertical retailer. These interns will work on a merchandising team within a specific Gap Inc. brand (Old Navy, Athleta, Banana Republic & Gap) and participate in key milestone meetings and support projects to drive the business. Past projects include identifying white space in the market for potential opportunities, running a competitive analysis on product assortment and pricing and competitive shopping with merchant teams for research and inspiration.
At the end of the summer, Merchandising interns will have the opportunity to convert into the best-in-class Rotational Management Program (RMP) after graduation.
What You'll Do
- Support merchant teams in key projects throughout the summer, and actively participate in presentations to senior leadership based on findings
- Monitor trend reporting, social channels, blogs and magazines to identify trends based on category and project needs
- Create mood/inspiration boards with pictures and product inspiration to support project presentations & category needs.
- Shop the competition online & in stores to collect data points on a variety of business needs by category. These needs include data on price points, customer trends, style count in store & online, promotional activity, customer profiles & target customer, flow strategies, & product performance.
- Maintain, create, and understand weekly & monthly reports and tools used by merchant teams to understand category performance and participate in conversations and ideas to drive the business.
- Collaborate cross functionally with key business partners to achieve goals
Who You Are
- Undergraduate degree in progress - accepting students that graduate in December 2023 and Spring 2024.
- Previous experience in Microsoft Excel required; other Microsoft Office programs a plus
- Passion for retail with a strong trend point of view and customer obsession. Retail experience preferred, but not required.
- Ability to share information to an audience with effective oral and written communication utilizing various forms of media (PowerPoint, Pinterest, mood/inspiration boards).
- Attention to detail and an ability to work with raw data to understand customer priorities
- Self-starter attitude with an ability to multi-task and prioritize in a fast-paced environment
- Strong intellectual curiosity & seeks out new ways of learning in complex situations
- In order to be considered for this position, you will need to upload your resume in PDF format when applying to this role. (Eg: LastName_FirstName Resume)
- Use the same email address throughout our process - from applying to the role to taking the online assessment.
- We are not able to provide visa sponsorship for this role.