3d Design Studio Director
Beaverton, OR, USAPosted 3 days ago
Job descriptionThe first spark of a product idea sets the NIKE, Inc. Product team into motion. The team of developers, testers, engineers, designers, and managers obsess over Nike's iconic silhouettes and build groundbreaking new styles. They collaborate, ideate, and refine products' construction, fit and materials. They maintain a keen understanding of consumer and market trends. They thoughtfully operate at the intersection of buyer needs, technical feasibility and business objectives. And they work lockstep with Merchandising, Design, Manufacturing, and others to produce the final result: products that reflect the soul of sport and inspire athletes to reach new levels of performance.
Digital Product Creation ("DPC") facilitates the digital transformation of Nike's Consumer Creation team. To do so, we use the power of data and digital capabilities, technology, and talent to fuel a consumer led, digitally native product ecosystem. One that amplifies creativity, drives seamless creation and unleashes obsessed consumers. We accelerate and empower a digital future from Planning to Design to Creation to Consumer. To do this, we partner closely with Nike Design, Footwear and Apparel teams as well as numerous members of the end-to-end Nike value chain. As part of the Nike Consumer Creation Operations team, DPC also works closely with Nike's Men's, Women's, Kids', Footwear, Apparel, and Design Operations teams.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
Nike is seeking an experienced gaming, VFX or design studio leader to leverage their ability to inspire and run our integrated 3D footwear design team as part of our larger DPC Footwear Studio team! You will provide industry-leading knowledge of 3D concepting, modeling, visualization, 3D simulation, and rendering to help bring Nike's footwear game to the next level. We are looking for a world-class leader with deep expertise in 3D, and the ambition to create the future of Design and Product Creation.
Working with a diverse and hardworking team, you'll gain in-depth knowledge of the Nike product-creation process. You'll partner with colleagues to set project, team, and individual priorities that will improve the digital creation process from concept to marketplace. Additionally, you will develop, lead and implement short- and long-term strategic goals, critical to digital evolution across Design, Development, Engineering and Product Management.
WHAT YOU WILL WORK ON
Creativity is at the heart of Nike's success but it's not enough to have great ideas. The kind of groundbreaking innovations for which Nike is known require not only an active imagination but also very sophisticated technical skills-especially in the realm of 3D. That's where you come in!
Demonstrating your own experience and expertise and leading a team comprised of 30+ digital creatives, experts in the 3D space, you will bring the digital know-how to unlock Nike's deep design and creative bench.
- Develop and define the vision and strategy for a best-in-class design studio, partner with & support Human Resources and Recruiting to ensure optimal hiring and retention practices
- Partner closely with studio leadership to help support project execution and delivery
- Work closely across design, product, portfolio and business teams to build alignment in support of studio goals
- Actively guide teams to reach target goals offering mentoring and support where possible
- Partner with Studio specialists on improving processes and practices to increase quality and accuracy, ensure cross-pollination of technical and design best practices
- Create a positive and inclusive culture within the team; embrace diversity, create space for new ways to solve problems, recognize contributions of team members and create opportunities for growth and development.
- Provide guidance to ensure that the team has what they need to develop and implement a method for effectively tracking project status and metrics to report on key results
- Personally manage team leads, conduct 1:1 meetings and partner with them to grow their teams' performance, competencies and capabilities.
- Bridge the gap between our technology teams and our product teams for technical and process domain expertise using best in class 3D software
- Contribute to the evolution of the way we think and how we make cutting edge sports performance product leveraging advanced 3D tools
As a member of the DPC Footwear Studio leadership team, you will be a key member and partner in the broader mission of digitally transforming Nike's product creation process. Through this capacity, you will bring your experience and expertise to a wide range of objectives in the spaces of design and product creation, and help to drive alignment across the organization.
WHO YOU WILL WORK WITH
The role works broadly across the enterprise with a special focus on Nike's Consumer Creation function including Footwear Design. This role reports to the Senior Director, Digital Product Creation, Footwear Studio.
ProfileWHAT YOU BRING
- Proven success, or relevant experience, in driving team results through strong leadership.
- A demeanor that welcomes feedback, enjoys working in a collaborative, iterative, and agile process
- Serious passion for 3D tools and technology
- Strong creative and technical design skills
- Experience building, running, and leading a successful creative studio team; ideally with multiple projects and priorities
- Demonstrated ability to deliver on projects from beginning to end with knowledge of how a pipeline supports the process
- Ability to communicate complex ideas in a clear and straightforward manner
- Ability to motivate teams and promote initiatives
- Strong interpersonal skills & thrives in a team environment
- Shown problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Experience in managing change
- Bachelor's degree or higher in either Digital Media Arts or Industrial Design, or equivalent combination of relevant education, experience, and training
- Five or more years of direct design, VFX or game studio leadership
- A portfolio with relevant projects demonstrating high level execution and direction of digital projects