Apparel and Accessories Buyer
At Fleet Feet – Chicago, we believe that running changes everything. For over 25 years, we have curated and created products, programs, and experiences that inspire and empower runners in the Chicagoland area. We believe it’s a privilege to serve and remain committed to delivering unmatched service and support when outfitting customers with the gear they need to be successful in their active endeavors. We like to keep things high-spirited, fast-paced, and fun. We don’t mind wearing more than a few hats and stepping in to help out wherever is needed. Our team is a group of knowledgeable and hardworking individuals who work, sweat and live passionately. We run together to solve a problem, reach a goal, get inspired, and champion our brand each day. We are in full pursuit to find passionate people to join us on our quest and bring our core values to life.
Joining Fleet Feet – Chicago is joining a team and a community that ignites and promotes running and fitness. We pride ourselves in putting people first and know that what we do each day does not happen anywhere else, for staff or customers. We truly believe that running changes everything.
This position provides operational support to fulfill Fleet Feet Chicago’s merchandise strategy. This position is responsible for an assigned product category including but not limited to assortment selection, open-to-buy, at-once business, e-commerce, product delivery, processing, sell-through overview, inventory accuracy, reconciliation and training of retail staff. This position will also assist with the content management and administration of the product marketing communication vehicles. Reports to Director - Merchandise.
- Responsible for open-to-buy for category and execution against the overall sales targets and store budgets.
- Curate a successful product selection based upon anticipated customer needs and interests.
- View seasonal collections from desired vendors and create assortment strategies in partnership with the DM.
- Responsible for accurate data entry into POS database.
- Manage seasonal assortment, inventory levels and sell through across specified categories.
- Work with Visual Merchandiser on product presentation.
- Coordinates product training for retail store employees.
- Coordinate with operations team to manage physical inventory calendar and facilitate category inventories.
- Monitor back-end operations – inventory levels, receiving, shipping, transfers, return to vendors, special/drop-ship/fulfillment/Ecommerce/etc. orders and other operational tasks.
- Audit outstanding vendor receivers and credits.
- Manage expo inventory process in partnership with the DM.
- Oversee transfers and stock balances between stores.
- Assist with product content management of company websites and newsletters.
- Contribute to content and discussion as relates to product on social media platforms.
- Generate content for company blog.
- Assist, as requested from DM, with product marketing and in-store events.
- Understand, fully use and continuously improve processes and system.
- Know and monitor competitive specialty stores and industry trends.
- Coordinate with retail stores forecasting new products, delivery information, and product life cycles.
- Support all Fleet Feet initiatives, activations and functions.
- May be required to drive company vehicle during key events and activations.
- Work schedule will be based upon the demands of the business and the stores. In typical week, this position will work 5 days out of the business office. Work from home will be approved on as needed basis. In addition, during key company events additional time in the retail stores and/or offsite will be required.
- 4+ years of retail/merchandising experience recommended, but not required
- Strong business acumen and retail industry knowledge
- Strong ability to coach and influence direct personnel reports and personnel without direct authority
- Ability to think strategically about issues and opportunities to properly assess impacts
- Problem-solver who enjoys challenges and takes pride in creating the right solution
- Excellent communicator with the ability to listen and adapt
- Communicate professionally with the team, staff, vendors and customers
- Builds and maintains trust by using sound judgment
- Proficiency using Microsoft Excel and pivot tables
- Experience with RICS software recommended, but not required
- Collaborative and customer-centric
- Willing to go above and beyond when needed
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Must lead an active lifestyle
- Out of State travel 2-3 times a year
- Compensation commensurate on experience
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance provided the first month
- 401k (pre/post tax options) after 1-year anniversary
- Paid Time Off
- Employee/Vendor Discounts
- High energy and fun atmosphere
- Training and advancement opportunities within the Fleet Feet brand
- Community involvement and community service activities
- Training Program and Product Discounts
- Passionate team members