TITLE: APPAREL DESIGNER
DETAILS: MINNEAPOLIS, MN
ABOUT TAI APPAREL:
· Apparel manufacturer with US Sales and Design team based domestically and overseas
· Specialize in knit and woven apparel
· US Sales and Design team located in Minneapolis and LA
· US Design and Sourcing team based in China driving a fast fashion speed to market business model
· Design team specializes in trend, fabric, technical spec/fit, sketches, fit approvals, CADs, graphics, art separations and art strike offs.
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Support the product design by delivering ongoing CAD & product development to meet internal and external needs. Work alongside domestic and international design partners to manage tight deadlines and art turnarounds.
SKILLS & ATTRIBUTES:
· Passionate about the apparel industry & art
· Possesses a strong design aesthetic and eye for fashion
· Ability to deliver under tight deadlines
· Knowledgeable in fashion and trend
· Proficient on Mac platforms
· Quick and eager to learn
· Driven to innovate and execute
· Self-motivated with a collaborative attitude
· Positive, Drama-free
· Operates well within feedback culture and strives to develop in role
· Passionate about developing & driving product assortments that make sense and will sell thru to the customer
· Proficient in Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator flat sketches and Color cads
· Knowledge of fabrics, washes/treatments, and silhouettes
· Experience in a PLM System
· Work alongside team to learn internal product design and development process.
· Collaborate, strategize + develop deck presentations.
- Task examples include; realist sketches, color fill, layer fill, graphic placement, art boards.
· Assist Senior Designer/Merchandiser to develop and design trend right and compelling product to fit the needs and white space opportunities of the retailers we serve
· Deliver CAD sketches + color + art + print & pattern fills under tight deadlines.
· Manage Assistant design workload and projects
· Work across a variety of apparel categories to deliver upon retailer expectations.
· Assist Account Manager with follow up meeting/narrowed CAD decks, costing requests for retailers.
· Understand retailer private label brands and deliver aesthetic that fits within the brand DNA.
- Deliver work that fulfills retailer needs and white space opportunities.
· Provide trend direction input when appropriate (example: making silhouette direction recommendations when necessary).
· Able to coach and develop other design team members on key skills, such as CAD development.
· Maintain flexible working hours that account for calls across various time zones.
· Learn the internal Tai product design and development process
· Fabric, Silhouette, Wash Techniques, Style #, Technical Design Process, Sampling Process, Sketching & Project Management Process
· PML System Style management
· Research and provide trend insight from the market to architect a product strategy/assortment.
· Identify key item/white space/emerging trends with regards to silhouettes, fabric, color, techniques and trims to ensure product is consistently relevant and evolving with the market through trend shopping, online research (WGSN), etc.
· Ability to translate pre-peak trends to mid-tier/mass retailers
· Constantly brainstorming newness, in partnership with design.
· Regularly pull art inspiration for graphic artists.
· Meet with Sales Team to strategize upcoming needs/meeting goals & approach.
· Develop product, in partnership with sales team based on market trends/retailer needs & white space.
· Comp Shop the market, online, Instagram, WGSN – finding inspiration everywhere
· Sample Handoff with Technical design
· Co-create sample requests/needs/ideas for upcoming meetings, ensuring samples tie back to presentations.
· Partner with overseas designer and US development designers
· Thought leadership with regards to developing elevated product a retailer can afford given IMU goals.
· Identify fabric backups and cost options.
· Partner with technical designers on new silhouettes/technical packets for sample development and/or potential bulk buys.
· Manage sample ETA’s & due dates
· Develop CAD presentations for upcoming meetings.
· Create Presentations
· Trend Pages & Inspiration
· Silhouette, color/print and pattern/graphic direction
· Partner with Design Assistant to assign style numbers for all new silhouettes.
· Direct/guide Designers on filling CADs.
· Provide Feedback
· Partner with Art Team to drive graphic requests
· Partner with Trend Team to create compelling trend boards
· Assist in organizing, prepare, pack apparel line for upcoming meeting.
· Assist Merchandiser in presenting apparel concept and product lines (via CADS & samples) to various retailers
· Sell product with conviction.
· Quick on your feet and comfortable with on the spot questions/challenges
· Travel as necessary (depending on accounts)
· Comfortable presenting product in Retailer meetings with Buyers & PD&D Teams
· Assist sales with follow up meeting/narrowed CAD decks for retailers
· Communicate design meeting follow-up/ changes to internal and external groups (US design, overseas team, sales, merchants, TD team, as needed)
· Own design/art follow-ups post retailer meetings.
· Responsible for prioritizing needs for design team in partnership with sales team to ensure prompt response.
· Help drive urgent/one off chase requests
· Assist with the following, as necessary:
· Preferred and Back-Up Fabric recommendations
· Fit sessions & comments (in partnership with the TD Team)
· Approval process alongside Product Development
NEW BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT
· Partner with Sales Team to drive new/incremental business opportunities
· Simultaneously manage current accounts while ensuring focus on what is going to drive the most business.
· Flexible work hours due to conference calls overseas, Teams chat.
· Positive attitude and always looking to work smarter, not harder
· Be open to new ways of doing things - different – better – more efficient