Apparel Designer- Contemporary Brands
Job Description DetailsThe Opportunity
Are you a Designer or Senior Designer in the industry looking for a change? Are you looking for a place you can grow and lead while also working in an amazing team environment? QVC, the world's leading eCommerce retailer, owned by Qurate Retail Group is designing for both QVC and HSN apparel lines. Located in West Chester, PA and whether you are coming from the Main line or center city, Philadelphia we offer a stress free commute through the QVC shuttle service.
Our team requires a committed team player with strong design skills; the ability to design into the brand vision, execute the design creation, and adhere to the design process. The individual will support their brands through the creation of appropriate merchandise which meets the business and trend needs of the Merchandising Team. This includes technical/data creation and management of all seasonal styles from sketching, meeting preparation, sample approval and overseas communication.The Apparel Designer will develop designs for all classifications of specified brands that will result in products that meet the needs of the Global merchandising team and ultimately the customer.Your Impact
- Maintain awareness of seasonal trends through market shopping, trend research and stay current with competition. This requires international travel to gain knowledge of multi-market product assortments.
- Create presentation materials for Global trend, Global color and Must Have product categories.
- Shop trend in retail markets seeking new merchandise ideas, as needed.
- Develop seasonal color palettes by maintaining awareness of market color direction and internal brand color selling history.
- Research market through trade shows and trend services identifying specific fabrics for the season, work with sourcing team to source each fabric to meet the specific pricing needs of each brand.
- Select each style's fabric, trims, materials and colors that fit into the assortment and style plans.
- Work with team to develop standards to maintain and grow the internal material library.
- Design all classifications (jackets, skirts, pants, knits and sweaters) for specified brands within the Apparel Merchandising division.
- Prepare line and presentation materials for line reviews and buyer meetings. Create presentation materials for Multi-market product assortment meetings.
- Be prepared with proto samples, store bought samples, fabric swatches, sketches and tears during Monthly Development Meetings.
- Create flat mechanical sketches for design development packages (to technical design, sourcing and overseas.)
- Create design development Package components in PLM System. Manage and maintain all information through to final approval.
- Manage Seasonal line sheets with-in the PLM system. Maintain records so Line sheets are updated and correct for product line selection.
- Provide color direction for garments to properly assort the product and seasonal collections.
- Review and approve proto samples.
- Work with technical designers to ensure tech packages are accurate and complete; review with Manager and provide specific feedback and collaborative direction when necessary.
- Adhere to the seasonal time and action calendars. Work collaboratively with internal sourcing teams, buyers and technical design to elevate calendar issues and provide resolution in order to maintain calendar dates.
- Approve fabric samples, lab dips and other development materials sent from factories. Work collaboratively with internal material management teams to provide feedback and clear and concise direction in order to execute approvals properly.
What You Bring
- Bachelor's Degree in apparel design or equivalent business experience.
- 5-7 years experience in a designing contemporary women's apparel or in a wholesale/retail design environment.
- Excellent presentation skills; the ability to present to a large audience including celebrity vendors. Must have strong negotiation and persuasion skills to pitch line.
- Understanding of garment construction and some knowledge of pattern-making process.
- Sketching ability with creativity in both color and design.
- Illustrator and/or Photoshop CAD skillswith the ability to make effective board presentations and render original design concepts.
- Ability to achieve due dates as established by brand calendar.
- Ability to adapt and respond to rapid change environment in a positive way that does not affect business.
- Work portfolio is appreciated when submitting application when possible.
About QVC, Inc
QVC, Inc., exceeds the expectations of everyone we touch by delivering the joy of discovery through the power of relationships. Every day, in nine countries, QVC engages millions of shoppers in a journey of discovery through an ever-changing collection of familiar brands and fresh new products, from home and fashion to beauty, electronics and jewelry. Along the way, we connect shoppers to interesting personalities, engaging stories, and award winning customer service. Based in West Chester, Pa. and founded in 1986, QVC has more than 17,000 employees and has retail operations in the U.S., Japan, Germany, United Kingdom, Italy, France, and through a joint venture in China. Worldwide, QVC engages shoppers on 14 broadcast networks reaching approximately 370 million homes, seven websites, and 220 social pages. Visit corporate.qvc.com to learn more.
QVC, Inc., is a wholly owned subsidiary of Qurate Retail, Inc. (NASDAQ : QRTEA, QRTEB), which includes QVC, HSN, zulily and the Cornerstone brands (collectively, "Qurate Retail Group"), as well as other minority investments. Qurate Retail Group believes in a third way to shop -- beyond transactional ecommerce or traditional brick-and-mortar stores -- and is #1 in video commerce,#3 in ecommerce in North America and #3 in mobile commerce in the U.S. (according to Internet Retailer). For more information, visit www.qurateretailgroup.com. QVC, Q, and the Q Ribbon Logo are registered service marks of ER Marks, Inc.
As an equal opportunity employer, Qurate Retail Group is committed to a diverse workforce and is also committed to a barrier-free employment process. In order to ensure reasonable accommodations for individuals pursuant to applicable law, individuals that require accommodation in the job application process for a posted position may contact us at [email protected] for assistance.
Click Apply and log in with your existing account or create an account. This will allow you to check the status of your application at any time and receive the most up to date communications from our Talent Acquisition team.