Stio® is a mountain apparel brand that designs, develops and sells beautiful, functional, and innovative products infused with the soul of the mountain lifestyle. With offices in Jackson and Wilson, WY, Stio draws inspiration from the surrounding Teton Range and offers products via Stio.com, our catalogs and our Mountain Studio® retail locations.
As Designer at Stio, you purposefully lead and apply design thinking in the key areas of Color, Product and Merchandising Design. The designer creates inspired designs, utilizing knowledge of trend, the competitive landscape, seasonal directives, and brand ethos. The Designer has a great understanding of functionality in a variety of outdoor experiences and products. The Designer clearly and professionally communicates concepts, color, theme and designs to all PD & cross functional partners throughout the product lifecycle to inform technical design, color merchandising, retail detail and go-to-market creative. The Designer develops flats, sketches, and tech packs as part of a cohesive seasonal collection aligned with the brand’s overall aesthetic and vision.
The Designer is a creative thinker with well-developed drawing abilities, high level understanding of concepts, strong attention to detail and powerful communication skills. The Designer has a sharp understanding of timeline and merchandise relationships needed to craft a range of compelling products that define a brand. Through a strong understanding of fabric drape and performance as well as garment construction and patterning, the Designer applies design and fabric selections to create silhouettes that match the needs of the brand and the industry demands. The Designer can interpret multiple sources of input and feedback in an open office environment and can leverage software programs such as Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, In Design and MS Office. The Designer at Stio has the ability to manage themselves to maintain schedules and take initiative in their functional role to create a cohesive, modern, classic, & authentic mountain product range with respect to the brand standards and targeted end use.
- Utilize trend services and actively participate in outdoor & other industry trade shows, in order to stay current and keep the brand relevant.
- Gather physical and visual evidence including photos, reports and samples to support creative perspective and direction for the brand and products. This includes color, print, & graphics.
- Collaborate with PLM & PD groups to achieve targets for feature benefit, aesthetic and construction objectives based on end use and audience.
- Troubleshoot construction challenges through partnership with the technical design team, detailed sketches and thorough review of all products.
- Identify opportunities for new findings, trims and accessories to support end use of new product initiatives with a focus on retail details. Support design and development as needed.
- Partner with Materials Manager to plan and execute designs for the season.
- Imagine future products and have the capability to multitask in more than one season at a time.
Your Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Product or Apparel Design
- 5+ years professional design experience
- Participated in the complete product lifecycle
- Basic knowledge of fitting protocol
- Capable of self-starting, collaborating, and being flexible
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite
- Knowledge of 3d software is welcomed
THE FINE PRINT
- Must be able to work in a stationary position 75-100% of the workday
- Medical, Dental Vision plans
- Company Paid Long Term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program
- 401k with Match
- Generous paid time off policies
- Gear test, perks, and more
- Company DEI Committee and Employee Resource Groups
This job description is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, we reserve the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed. Stio is an equal opportunity employer of all qualified individuals, including minorities, BIPOC, LGBTQ+, veterans & individuals with disabilities.