We are seeking an APPAREL DESIGNER to join the Women’s Design Team at Orvis! This is a remote position with the expectation that you will travel to our Vermont headquarters 4 to 6 times per year in addition to travel to factories, vendors, regional training events and industry trade and sourcing shows.
We are looking for an individual with product design and development experience, and a passion to develop great products that solve problems by driving innovation, quality and performance. The ideal candidate will be organized, self-managed, and have the ability to work collaboratively to accomplish goals.
For more than 160 years the Orvis name has stood for outdoor traditions, quality, and customer satisfaction. At Orvis, we do not sell what we, ourselves, would not be proud to own or give as a gift. Our associates deserve to be proud of our service and our products, and we rely on every associate to apply our “pride of ownership” credo to drive our quality and innovation. “Good enough” is not our standard. We need to strive for perfection in our products and customer service, to propel our growth and the pride that will fuel our team.
We are seeking an Apparel Designer, Women’s Design Team. We are looking for an individual with product design and development experience and a passion to develop great products that solve problems by driving innovation, quality and performance. The ideal candidate will be organized, self-managed, and have the ability to work collaboratively to accomplish goals.
- The design and development process of Orvis branded Women’s Apparel.
- Responsible for driving the design, prototyping and final specifications for innovative, technologically advanced products in women’s sportswear and technical apparel.
- Research and identify trend direction, mood and concept boards
- Adherence to seasonal calendar and deadlines
- Interface with Merchants, Sourcing and Manufacturing Partners to meet product introduction timelines
- Ensure quality at all phases in the development process through product lifecycle
- Collaborate with sourcing to complete vendor negotiations for costing and implementation of best sources to assure product delivery and quality
- Travel to factories, vendors, regional training events and industry trade and sourcing shows
- Bachelor’s degree with professional experience in all facets of the product design, development and commercialization process.
- 3+ years of product design and development
- Strong ability to self-manage the seasonal design phase, visual line planning, and color story recommendations
- Demonstrated proficiency in Adobe Suite for product design and visual line planning
- Intimate working knowledge of patterns and material constructions techniques within the competitive marketplace
- Exceptional attention to detail and strong follow-up
- Strong sketching ability
- Ability to anticipate and meet deadlines and to work on multiple projects and seasons
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Presentation skills and the ability to influence
- Flexible travel required in this position for shows and events (3-5 weeks/year)
- Must be familiar with the Orvis product line, culture and lifestyle
Performance will be measured on the successful completions of the following:
- On schedule design and development of best-in-class products
- Deliver initial concept sketches to support product development
- Responsible for product creation from tech packs to commercialization
- Quality, as measured by returns, as well as feedback from customers, sales personnel in retail and wholesale
- Cost of goods and sourcing strategies for above categories
Orvis Company associates take pride in our world-class service and products, treating customers, vendor partners, and each other with integrity and mutual respect. We work in a supportive, team-oriented environment, focusing on performance, continuous improvement, and exceeding our customers’ expectations – both internal and external. The Orvis Company and our associates are committed to giving back to our communities and protecting nature.
In 1856, Charles Orvis founded the Orvis Company in Manchester, Vermont, offering the finest fly fishing equipment, and priding himself on customer satisfaction and service. Today, along with our world famous fly-fishing gear, Orvis offers distinctive clothing, home furnishings, gifts, and dog products. Each item is rooted in our heritage of authenticity and the outdoors, and is backed with a no-questions-asked guarantee. As the longest-running mail order business in the United States, and with our flagship retail store located in the same Vermont village as the original store since 1856, we offer experience and knowledge that no other retail company can. Each day we strive to apply what we know and learn to bring our customers even better service and products tomorrow.
Orvis is headquartered in beautiful Southwestern Vermont with major operations in Roanoke, Virginia and the U.K. We firmly believe that the only way for Orvis to achieve its vision to be the most respected lifestyle brand in America, is to have a company culture that is supportive and inspiring to the individuals that will get us there.
Orvis offers competitive compensation commensurate with scope of responsibilities and experience required; plus a comprehensive benefits package including medical/dental/vision coverage, life insurance, 401K, generous associate discounts, and other excellent benefits.
To learn more and connect with Orvis, please visit us online www.orvis.com.