Apparel Designer, Outerwear Essentials
Apparel Designer – Outerwear Essentials
You will be responsible for the high-quality execution of designs in a specific collection or category and work with the Product Manager and the Designer Manager to give input online and product direction. You will work with the Product Developer to ensure successful Product Creation and Fit throughout Sampling Process and execute individual designs and collections appropriate to product and design brief. You will drive creation of high-quality design packages during the design process, use of Illustration and Asst Design resources to support design effort and be responsible for proof-of-concept work by design team. You will also track a design schedule to ensure a timely completion following the predetermined product development calendar, research industry and product trends for new information, and will be able to communicate and create visual presentations. You will also partner with developers to create innovative and technologically advanced products, partner with material sourcing to develop innovative fabrications, and train and develop Associate Designers/ Junior Staff.
What You Will Do
You will produce fully packaged designs of a product line and works with Product Developer to ensure successful Product Creation and Fit throughout Sampling Process. You will track a design schedule to ensure a timely completion following the product development calendar, stay current with industry and cultural trends, and contribute to proof-of-concept work carried out by design team. You will partner with material and trims sourcing to develop innovative fabrications/trims, and use your advanced CC skills to develop sketches, tech packs, color cads, etc. Your collaborative and communication skills will allow you to work with cross functional partners on fabrications, silhouettes, trims, and color/print. You will produce visual presentations, partner with developers to create innovative products that fit our consumers appropriately and perform these and other duties as assigned.
How You Will Make a Difference
You will contribute to overall direction in the conceptual development of product lines, anchored in innovative technical solutions, which in turn drive company sales and profits. You should be comfortable designing whole collections around coherent themes, functions, prices, etc. You will be responsible for managing all aspects of the entire product design process, designing, creation/cocreation, sketching, building, and fitting, combining all necessary trend, material, and market research into a viable product line. You will also ensure that product is consistent with market trends as well as business strategy and interpret international/domestic concepts and cultural trends as it relates to market demands and company image. It will be important that you share a passion for sustainable design and are proactive about creating designs that reflect that. You will function as a Mentor to Associate Designers/ Junior Design Staff.
Free To Be, Inclusion & Diversity
As a purpose-led, performance driven company, we strive to foster a culture of belonging based on respect, connection, openness, and authenticity. We are committed to building and maintaining a workplace that celebrates the diversity of our associates, allowing them to bring their authentic selves to work every day.
Skills for Success
- Years of Related Professional Experience: 5+ years.
- Bachelor's Degree in Design (apparel), or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in flat sketching and working in 3D/hands-on
- Hands-on experience with CAD software.
- Experience in creation of design packages and execution of product designs.
- Experience in designing successful products
- Experience in research and analysis and design cycles
- Experience in Fitting and communicating fit intent
- Extensive Tech packing Skills
- Strong knowledge and understanding of apparel construction
- Excellent communications skills, including the ability to present concepts to product teams and review boards in a persuasive manner.
- Strong knowledge of product cycles.
- Strong knowledge of manufacturing processes
- Strong knowledge of aesthetic form and the ability to design for different consumers and end uses. • Basic knowledge of textile and material construction and properties.
- Basic knowledge of product costs and impact of design
- Problem solving and shows Initiative
- VF Guiding Principles: Live with Integrity, Act Courageously, Be Curious, Act with Empathy, and Preserve.
Join the North Face Family
The North Face was built on a love for the outdoors and the desire to enable all types of exploration, for all people, from their backyards to the Himalayas. Over the last 50 years we've lived by our “true north,” the belief that exploration has the power to change us, to challenge us and to help us see the world from new perspectives. To help ignite a global movement of outdoor exploration, love for the natural world and an unwavering commitment to protect it, we welcome and encourage new participants to the outdoors. We extend our reach through support of non-profit organizations, establishing programs that connect participants with close-to-home recreation opportunities, and creating a connection with young leaders, inspiring them to explore and conserve.
As we enter our sixth decade, we pledge to:
- Empower exploration and the thrill of the unknown for as many people as possible.
- Protect the places where we live, play, and operate.
- Evolve the way we make our products by improving our environmental performance and social responsibility in the supply chain.
What’s in it For You
We’re in the business of unleashing human potential, driven by the ideas, energy and commitment of our people. That’s why we offer comprehensive benefits that encourage mental, physical and financial well-being for all VF associates. When it comes to benefits, we’re the total package. Go to MyVFBenefits.com and click on “Looking to Join VF?” to learn more.
Our Parent Company, VF Corporation
VF is one of the world’s largest apparel, footwear and accessories companies connecting people to the lifestyles, activities and experiences they cherish through our family of iconic outdoor, active and workwear brands. At the heart of our journey lies our company-wide purpose: We power movements of sustainable and active lifestyles for the betterment of people and our planet. This is our purpose. It’s the reason we come to work every day. It’s a commitment shared by our global associates across all brands. Our purpose unites us and leads us to pursue our goals, together. This is our calling. Learn more at vfc.com
We just have one question. Are you in?