Apparel Designer, Womens & Kids
Founded in 2004, Sol Angeles is a premium brand deeply rooted in the effortless California lifestyle, offering a broad range of products for men, women and kids with a low maintenance approach to refined living. Vintage inspired florals, soft beachy graphics, and the signature wave logo, create a collection of comfortable classics, all made with love in downtown Los Angeles. Sol Angeles embodies an optimistic approach to life. Making the most out of each morning, afternoon, and evening.
Sol Angeles is supported by the La Jolla Group platform. LJG is a worldwide leader in the action sports apparel business segment with a fast paced, high-energy environment that is continually on the move. With other prominent brands such as O’Neill, Spiritual Gangster, PSD Underwear, Mountain Khakis and Hang Ten, La Jolla Group has proved to be a builder of great brands, a creator of innovative products, and a master of operational excellence.
General SummaryLead design in Women’s and Kid’s collection. Ideally skilled in soft wear and wovens tops and bottoms. As the designer, you will be responsible for researching inspiration, developing new apparel concepts, sketching ideas, creating block and style tech packs and overseeing sample development from concept to production - ensuring design intention is properly adhered to through product life cycle. In addition to developing and maintaining design intention you will exhibit an inherent understanding of the Brands heritage and contribute to its evolving aesthetic.
Essential Job Functions
- Responsible for the design and execution of Women’s, Kid’s, Capsule collaboration and SMUs
- Contribute to creation of cohesive concept each season by researching inspiration, review emerging trends in shapes, fabrics, color, art and local markets
- Collaborate with team to create mood and inspiration boards to showcase new trends, inspirations, materials, and silhouettes
- Design into seasonal sku plan and price buckets as determined by head of Merchandising, following key direction inspiration from co-founder
- Color and merchandise each delivery of the season to fit design sku plan creating compelling merchandised stories across deliveries
- Build initial seasonal b+w block tech packs (detailed sketch and construction details/boms) to handover to technical designer to complete new seasonal block development
- Create style tech packs using initial b+w block tech pack to create individual sku tech packs
- Create pitch sheets for new trims or hangtags to pass to merchandising for development
- Maintain all seasonal collateral (vlps/tp and sketch updates) and check over work for accuracy and adhere to deadlines
- Collaborate with technical design lead in routine fittings to ensure design intention is properly adhered to in garment execution
- Create seasonal new product knowledge/style description decks
- Partner with head of merchandising and co-founder to give fabric, trim, and lab dip comments
- Attend photoshoots & provide feedback on photoshoot selects for retouching
- Attend meetings with design and key vendors as necessary
- Contribute to quarterly SMS line reviews
- Update and maintain all style tech packs from prototype to TOP throughout development life cycle
- Must possess strong garment construction, such as fabric construction, finishes, sewing techniques, graphics and trims
- Strong design, color, and trend forecasting skills.
- Must have strong flat (CAD) sketching skills
- Firm knowledge of construction and how it impacts cost
- Comfortable and experienced in fitting garments
- Understanding and ability to work under strict calendar deadlines.
- Skilled and able to create thorough and accurate tech packs.
- Solid organizational and time-management skills, with the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams.
- Detail-oriented and able to take initiative to drive projects to completion.
- Degree in fashion design or apparel production
- 5+ years of design experience in a similar role
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign) and other design software.
This Position requires 2-3 days in office at Sol Angeles' LA office.
Physical RequirementsSeeing: Must be able to see well enough to read reports.
Hearing: Must be able to hear well enough to communicate with customers, vendors and employees.
Climbing/Stooping/Kneeling: Must be able to stoop or kneel to pick up products.
Lifting/Pulling/Pushing: Must be able to lift up to 10 pounds.
Fingering/Grasping/Feeling: Must be able to type and use technical sources.
Sol Angeles is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, gender, national origin, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran or military status, marital status, pregnancy (including unlawful discrimination on the basis of a legally protected pregnancy or maternity leave), genetic information and any other characteristics protected by law.
Note: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed, but are not to be seen as a complete list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Also, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.