Apparel Technical Designer: Baby and Kids
***Hybrid Position*** Location in Minneapolis, MN
Who We Are
Colored Organics is an organic cotton clothing company located in Minneapolis, MN. Specializing in organic styles for babies and children, Colored Organics is committed to sustainable sourcing and ethical production.
Working exclusively through online wholesale and retail channels, the Colored Organics brand is currently worn by babies and kids in over 75 countries worldwide. By creating upscale, high-quality basics with soft organic fabrics, Colored Organics guarantees a brand and a product that are beautiful, both inside and out.
Eco-conscious fashion start-up is looking for a creative and driven Technical designer who is enthusiastic about working in the children’s fashion and retail industry. Responsibilities include leading and managing the technical design process from development to final product, assisting in designing the production collections, maintaining and creating tech packs, effectively managing relationships, and communicating with vendors. As a key member of our team, you must be ready and willing to take on a wide variety of projects and back up other team members, as needed.
- Strong knowledge of construction and patterns
- Strong knowledge of fabrics and their applications
- Strong knowledge of target specs, POMs, and grading
- High level of attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task while staying organized
- High sense of urgency, punctuality, and timeliness
- Must have a strong work ethic and motivation to learn
- Works well individually as well as with a team
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to lead and train a team of direct reports
- Flexible and adaptable to a very fast-paced environment
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time
- Degree in apparel manufacturing, product development, or apparel design-related field
- 3-5+ years of work experience in technical design
- In-depth knowledge of fabric, apparel, materials, construction, and fit
- Prior managerial experience is a bonus
- A successful candidate works well in a dynamic environment with minimal supervision
- This Technical Designer will join a small woman-owned and operated business and will be managing the technical design portion of the business. Must be able to work effectively on a small team and be self-motivated.
- The person in this role will bring team drive and passion for developing technically sound garments for babies and children.
- This position required an out of the box thinker who can collaborate with the existing team, outside vendors, and across all levels of the organization
- Excited to assist in designing micro-collections.
- Lead fittings and identify necessary fit corrections
- Evaluate and spec samples to determine compliance of specs, construction, quality, and design intent
- Illustrate pattern corrections and style comments with Photoshop or Illustrator to communicate accurate and precise corrections to overseas vendors
- Detail comments and address all garment corrections with factory representatives
- Collaborate with Managing Director, design, PD, and purchasing to ensure design intent is executed with the highest quality of fit, construction, and workmanship while maintaining deadlines
- Lead fit sessions
- Ensure meticulous notes are taken during the session so correct information is communicated to vendors and production
- Ensure all samples are fit and comments are processed within a timely manner
- Work within the calendar to ensure deadlines are maintained
- Bachelor’s degree
How to Apply
Please send us your resume and a cover letter to [email protected] We are a fun and thriving team, looking for someone who can be a good fit! Please include a portfolio or examples of your work to show us how you are a rock star. If you have an Instagram account - share your handle!
Job Type: Full-Time / Part-time could be an option