Apparel Technical Designer - Part Time
At Stance, we believe everything starts and ends with our people. Self-reliant in our attitude, and entrepreneurial in our ethos, we have grit, guts and gratitude. Stance is a culture that cannot be duplicated - where smart, ambitious, and positive people thrive.
In 2009, we took what was once a stagnant staple and transformed socks into one of the market's most exciting accessories. By unlocking the potential of a canvas too often overlooked, Stance ignited a cultural movement around the world that has attracted visionary artists, athletes and icons to embrace our positive message of individuality and creativity. In the years since, our canvas for self-expression has expanded from toe to head by way of underwear, apparel and headwear. Through innovative materials, superior comfort and artistic design that is the bedrock ethos of our brand, Stance can now be found in over 40 countries for anyone looking to defy convention. We are Stitched Different®.
About The RoleThe Apparel Technical Designer’s role is essential to adhering to the established fit standards of Stance, as well as helping create new and improved standards for the fits of future categories. This person will cross collaborate with Design through initial concept stages by suggesting proper measurements and construction call outs essential to achieving desired execution and building technical SPEC tech-packs. They will also work with Production on final sign off on Top of Production Samples, and solving potential QC issues pertaining to fits.
About The Reporting StructureThis position reports to Director of Development.
About Primary Responsibilities
- Manage all milestones within a Technical Design standpoint from POM + Grade creation, to issuing production ready approvals.
- Measure and evaluate incoming samples and prepare them for fittings for assigned categories.
- Schedule fittings with models and M&D team on a weekly basis, or as needed.
- Attend all fittings, taking photos and detailed notes on fit and construction changes, and communicate summary to team via email for review.
- Make detailed fit correction sketches using Illustrator.
- Send fit comments to vendors within appropriate timeframe after fitting.
- Help answer all tech related questions that come through the Customer Service department.
- QC all product that comes in and does not match final graded specs, and/or approved construction, and properly communicate out to teams with any suggestions.
- Maintain fit sample tracker, in addition to any necessary charts including Fit Guides.
- Attend necessary development meetings.
- Recognizes that Stance is a team sport.
- Constantly seeks to align themselves to the strategic, financial and cultural plans of the company.
- Drive performance that delivers excellence in a way that preserves and enhances our ability to get results in the future.
- Foster an entrepreneurial atmosphere that supports continuous improvement, creativity, resourcefulness and a get it done mentality.
- Focus on creativity that enables imagination used to plan our future, solve problems and excite our consumers.
- Consistently express gratitude to acknowledge the help and contributions of others.
- Demonstrate personal responsibility in order to shepherd and safeguard our values and commitments.
- Degree in related field preferred.
- 3-5 years’ experience in technical design, fitting, and spec packages.
- Experience with men’s and women's active apparel is required.
- Expertise in grading, construction and fit with an understanding of basic pattern-making.
- Comprehensive understanding of physical fit for evaluation of body size, shape and the relationship of clothing on the target body.
- Knowledge of plus size fits is preferred but not necessary.
- Knowledge in knits, and woven materials and garment washes.
- Understanding of product engineering, manufacturing process and garment timelines.
- Ability to create technical drawing and renderings in Adobe Illustrator.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and 365.
- Excellent organization, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Self-starter and strong problem-solving skills preferred.
- Take on projects and present to team.
- Availability to work in-office Tuesday and Thursday, hours during in-office days can be flexible.
- This role is part time, averaging 20-25 hours per week.
San Clemente, CA