The Assistant Buyer contributes to Sur La Table’s success by assisting the Buyer in day-to-day aspects of buying and merchandising in key areas of the business including reporting, sales analysis, and communication. The Assistant Buyer will help develop assortments for the Sur La Table merchant team that are first to market, competitive, and ensure financial success (sales, gross margin, and inventory turn fill rates) by analyzing product trends and historical data. This role relies on experience and judgment and works under the supervision of a Buyer or Senior Buyer.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintains and distributes accurate business recap reports (daily sales, inventory, sales trends and etc.) used for analyzing the business and communicating with vendors.
- Places merchandise sample orders with vendors.
- Works with Buyer to determine product signage needs.
- Takes responsibility for all POS data entry.
- Takes ownership for gathering and entering merchandise information into the product database (PIM), and ensures accuracy.
- Works with Creative Services team and Buyer to manage packaging product timelines, deadlines, and accuracy. Assists with identifying content, copy and photography needs.
- Plans and communicates SKU setup timelines and provides necessary information to the Merchandising Coordinator for SKU set up. Manages cost changes in Island Pacific system and communicates to buyer.
- Manages and maintains accurate floor set line lists for assigned department(s).
- Proofs catalog information for accuracy (including features & benefits copy and SKU level detail).
- Builds professional relationships with vendors and responds to vendor requests for information. Prepares reports for vendor meetings and recaps meeting details and action items for buyers and vendors.
- Develops a working knowledge of the Sur La Table buying function including merchandise selection, negotiating, pricing, planning, marketing and customer profiles.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned by manager.
- Ability to regularly communicate verbally and in writing and work cooperatively with employees, vendors and customers.
- Ability to use computer and other office equipment to accomplish work tasks.
- Ability to think critically and communicate complex thoughts and/or ideas in clear and concise manner.
- Ability to remain stationary (sit or stand) for extended periods of time.
- Ability to move about the workplace retrieving merchandise. Able to grab, reach, pull, bend, stoop, kneel and crouch in order to manage merchandise.
- Ability to lift and/or move merchandise weighing up to 35lbs.
- Regular and predictable attendance.
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree in Merchandising, Fashion, Business or related field. Relevant work experience considered in lieu of education.
- 2+ years’ experience in buying or merchandise planning. Merchandise buying/planning experience in a hard goods retail environment preferred.
- 1-2 years’ experience performing data analysis.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook and Word, with intermediate to advanced Microsoft Excel skills.
- Retail experience strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with catalog design, visual merchandising, and eCommerce preferred.
Sur La Table Core Competencies for Everyone:
- Focus on the Customer: You inspire and delight your customers
- Be Genuine: Your communication style is respectful, effective and sincere
- Make the Right Call: You effectively blend knowledge, experience, wisdom & decisive action
- Take Ownership: you are committed, responsible and provide solutions
- Achieve Results: You meet and exceed goals and expectations
This job description represents a summary of the job, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties. Responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder might differ from those outlined and other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. Sur La Table has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice.