Eastern Mountain Sports and Bob's Stores operate brick and mortar stores in the Northeast, EMS adventure schools, and continue to expand the company websites - EMS.com and Bobstores.com.
We are looking for the right individual to join our merchant group as an Assistant Buyer. This is a hybrid position with your time spent in the office in Meriden, CT, traveling and working remotely from home.
We are offering an opportunity to launch your career and develop new skills in a dynamic environment while contributing to the success of Bob’s and EMS. You have the potential to gain valuable experience while working with business partners in many areas of the business including: Marketing, E-commerce and Distribution.Key Responsibilities
- Provides a foundation for buying decisions by researching market trends, product direction, and competition; analyzing business trends vs. plan; and reviewing reforecasts of sales, inventories, receipts, gross margin and markdowns.
- Maintains knowledge of product and industry trends through market trips, online services, industry journals and fashion magazines.
- Manages key vendors by maintaining strong working relationships while effectively negotiating terms such as unit costs, delivery windows, and vendor-added services as well as by proactively negotiating for off-price merchandise.
- Accurately coordinates, processes and tracks POs and delivery of goods to the stores and websites by maintaining accurate files and effective communication. Ensures appropriate ship windows are set and adhered to.
- Manages selection, turn, and profitability of assortments by ensuring timely Warehouse processing of receipts and returns-to-vendors; generating timely price changes to liquidate dated, slow selling inventories and to support sales events.
- Helps forecast adequate ongoing and sales-event inventory levels by analyzing individual store characteristics and nuances with regard to product mix.
- Sets direction for advertising preparation process by ensuring accurate data entry into AdPrep and timely merchandise turn-ins for advertising photo shoots. Brings forward marketing suggestions to generate sales.
- Facilitates effective coordination of tasks and information by maintaining accurate, timely, effective communication with all internal and external business partners. Acts as information funnel through interaction via phone calls, emails and memos.
- Recent Graduate with evident academic achievement.
- A thorough understanding of retail math.
- Ability to work with cross functional groups.
- Proficient in using MS Office – particularly Excel.
- An analytical mind set; enjoys digging in and coming up with recommendations.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; comfortable communicating with all levels.
- Interest in retail buying.
We are committed to providing a diverse benefits package designed with options to help satisfy all the health care needs of our full-time employees and their families. Some of our best benefits come with our culture. We’re fun! We’re fast! We’re casual!Our Benefits Package Includes
- Medical, dental and vision plans
- Group term life insurance – Company paid
- 401(k) savings plan
- Paid holidays
- Paid PTO
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Health Savings Account
- Short-Term Disability – Company paid
- Long-Term Disability – Company paid
- Employee Assistance Program
- Voluntary benefits such as Pet Insurance and Critical Illness coverage
We are an equal opportunity employer. We know that the more diverse our workplace is, the more creativity and perspective we will have as a company. We offer a dynamic career opportunities and generous employee discounts.