Gabe's is seeking Assistant Buyers to support our Buying and Merchandising Team in driving sales, turnover, and profit goals. These positions will be based in our New York City Buying Office.
- Makes recommendations to the Buyer for present and future purchase and markdown actions.
- Prepares recommendations for next seasons' buy by analyzing appropriate resources (i.e., Buyer Control File, BI, Unit and Dollar Ladder Plans, and current market information)
- Works with vendors and makes purchases for specific merchandise categories as determined by the Buyer
- Maintains regular communication and develops relationships with vendors to ensure positive professional partnerships.
- Assists Buyer in resolving problems or relieving anticipated difficulties related to purchase orders, delivery dates, payments, etc.
- Works closely with the Merchandising Assistants to analyze data and report back to the Buyer on a timely basis.
- Spends time in each store format throughout the month concentrating on inventory levels, allocation issues, selling, listening to customer feedback about product, and listening to Store management feedback about product.
- Facilitates Buyer on markdown, assortment, and Open to Buy (OTB) plans
- Supports allocation strategies to increase sales and reduce markdowns
- Executes markdowns and transfers as determined with the Buyer
- Accompanies Buyer (as needed) to "market" to meet vendors and participate in decision-making processes
- Compiles product and vendor information and keeps appropriate parties updated
- Communicates with Distribution Centers about status of new receipts and the distribution of merchandise to the Stores.
- A Bachelor's Degree (or higher) in a fashion-related discipline
- Previous Merchandising experience required, with further aspirations to grow your career in Off-Price Buying. Off-Price retail Buying / Merchandising experience within a multi-unit organization is strongly preferred.
- Computer proficiency with strong Excel experience (including formulas, tables) and an aptitude for learning new software programs and applications
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Highly attentive to detail and accuracy
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to share findings and actionable solutions with the Team
- Strong organizational and planning skills to ensure timely and accurate execution of responsibilities
- Ability and motivation to work independently
- Ability to work effectively and proactively as a member of the cross-functional team by communicating clearly and focusing on team objectives
- Ability to build relationships, be personable, maintain a positive attitude, and collaborate with others
- Ability to identify and execute priorities with a sense of urgency
- Ability to facilitate multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment