The Merchandise Department supports the Product needs of Helzberg Diamonds by building powerful assortments, wide-ranging price points, bridal dominance, competitive quality and value across multiple fine jewelry categories and time pieces. The Merchandise team is responsible for identifying products that will sell, negotiating vendor contracts, and analyzing sales data to make sound purchasing decisions as well as searching globally for unique trends and hot selling jewelry products. The department has a significant impact on profitability by closely managing gross margin and inventory turns as well as asset/memo mix. Merchandise is an active partner with the Store Operations group and Marketing in driving Helzberg’s business. The Merchandise department is organized into several groups: Bridal, Diamond Fashion, Gold, Watches, Color and Special Events, Loose Diamonds, Outlets, Closeouts and Planning and Allocation.
Position SummaryGain buying and assortment planning experience at the department, class, and sku level. Develop skills in building assortments, negotiating, pricing, planning, and marketing. Understand the financial impact of merchandising and start developing financial acumen. The incumbent works with internal partners in Marketing to support the merchandising and marketing strategies. The incumbent should begin to develop relationship building skills to work effectively with external merchandise vendors.
- Assist Buyer with assortment development and content for assigned categories.
- Manage the product development process, samples and test programs.
- Assist Marketing in selecting product, pricing, layout and item descriptions for assigned categories for catalogs and proof for correct studio photos, realistic color and accurate copy and pricing. Provide merchandise assistance for special events.
- Work with merchandise planners on assigned categories to achieve planned gross margin and return on investment.
- Generate weekly reports for the buying team and provide ad hoc reporting and analysis as required.
- Assist with maintaining relationships with vendors regarding costs and sourcing new items. Ensure vendors meet delivery expectations.
- Execute assigned merchandise events and develop communications for stores. Provide support to stores such as assistance with specific transactions and store openings as needed.
- Work with E-Commerce team regarding merchandise for website, ensure quality photographs are available and assist with resolving issues with special orders.
- Lead visual merchandise projects to create visually appealing layouts and communicate consistent standards for stores.
- Provide support to DVP or Buyer as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related field.
- A minimum of three years of related retail experience required.
- Highly effective written and verbal communication skills required, along with strong retail math and organizational skills.
- Strong computer skills required, including Word and Excel.
- Flexibility and adaptability to changing business strategies and direction a must, along with demonstrated product knowledge and taste level.
- Hybrid schedule with predictable onsite attendance required three or more days per week to perform essential functions involving interactive behaviors with co-workers and managers, operation or manipulation of equipment and/or materials located only on site, and direct interaction with internal and/or external customers.