Assistant Buyer - Accessories Designer Flagships - Ftc
Job descriptionAssistant Buyer - Accessories Designer Flagships - FTC
Selfridges has always been much more than a shop. We're a social space where everyone is welcome and feels a sense of belonging, a creative playground where culture and commerce collide, and an experimental hub where you can discover the most innovative and sustainable ideas in retail. We're here to help make the world brighter. And you can be an important part of this. We'll talk more about the role below, but before we get to that, let's share with you the good stuff...
Rewards and benefits
Life at Selfridges is dynamic, exciting, and always evolving. As well as working with some of the most cutting-edge, iconic and boundary-pushing brands, designers and creatives, we also offer our team members opportunities to help make a positive difference through our network of communities, both within and outside Selfridges. Here are just a few of our rewards and benefits that help make our team experience that bit more extraordinary.
- Flexible working options to benefit you, your family and your wellbeing that can include part-time, flexi-time, job sharing or hybrid working
- Generous annual leave that increases with length of service
- Up to five paid volunteering days - from beach cleans to co-ordinating food and clothing donations
- Family leave that suits your set up including Maternity, Paternity, Adoption, Surrogacy and Shared Parental leave policies
- Defined pension contribution scheme
- Generous bonus and/or commission scheme
- Enviable team member discount including sale previews and double discount days
- Exclusive local discounts on a range of restaurants, bars, beauticians and entertainment
- Subsidised gym memberships
- Annual travel pass and cycle-to-work schemes
- A sustainable car salary sacrifice scheme
- Several internal communities to get involved in from our Diversity Board and Green Warriors who are leading the charge on D,E&I and sustainability, to the Wellbeings who are always thinking of new ways to champion healthy minds, bodies and routines for our team members
- Workplace Options, our confidential team member assistance programme for when life gets tricky or you need a little guidance
- Access to a wide range of training programmes to help your career development
Read on to find out how you can play your part in Reinventing Retail...
As an Assistant Buyer, you will be responsible for our Accessories Designer Flagship business, supporting the Buyer in sourcing brands and product. You will work with the brands to negotiate the best terms for the business with suppliers. To ensure the ordering process is efficient and compliant with Selfridges processes. As Assistant Buyer, you will:
- Support the Accessories Buying team across the Flagship business - ensuring thorough knowledge of product and market
- Negotiate the best possible terms with suppliers i.e. margin, trade discounts, markdown support, working with the Buyer and Head of Buying where appropriate
- Work with the Buying Manager to ensure that Buying decisions are based on a sound commercial framework to drive sales and profit
- Monitor and review trade in season, making trading recommendations to the Buying Manager where necessary.
- Support with weekly trade packs, feeding back and presenting key findings to Senior stakeholders
- Assist with range planning, working closely with the Merchandiser and Buying Manager
- Work with the Merchandiser to analyse performance, making recommendations to the Buyer i.e. to keep or discontinue within the business
- Communicate effectively with retail operations teams, particularly with regard to new season launches and product training
- Work closely with Digital, Marketing and PR teams and to be aware of promotional opportunities during negotiations with suppliers
- Be responsible for re-ordering, working within the OTB structure, ensuring decisions are communicated to the Administrator good time *
- Carry out research into key trends and put together look books for the area*
- Where relevant, to supervise the wider team and monitor workload
- Work closely with VM to ensure product placement optimises the look and performance of the department
- Ensure effective communication with retail operations teams, particularly with regard to new season launches and product training
-* N/B: in areas where there is a Buyer's Assistant and an Assistant Buyer, this responsibility will be shared
The Ideal Candidate
- Highly knowledgeable. You will have a well-developed understanding of the product/market
- Strategic and operational. With strong analytical skills and experience driving long-term and profitable commercial strategies, you'll be able to successfully manage projects through to completion.
- Engaging. Able to influence your stakeholders, retail and brands, you know how to use both data and market trends to drive commercial opportunities
- Customer focused. Combined with exceptional taste and instinct, you are able to push the boundaries to offer new and exciting product
- All over the numbers. You are numerate with a highly commercial approach, as well as proficient in excel
- Collaborative. Working flexibly as part of the wider Buying team you will support in projects and cross functional meetings as appropriate
- Organised with attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to influence
- An example of our values, a trusted and respected colleague
Everyone is welcome
Selfridges is a place where we want everyone to feel a sense of belonging. We embrace every self and are committed to cultivating a diverse and inclusive working culture. We are leading with purpose to not only increase the visibility and recognition of under-represented talent within our organisation, but the wider industry too. Here at Selfridges, everyone is welcome - irrespective of race, gender, ethnicity, sexuality, age or disability, we stand by equal opportunities for all.
Our awards cabinet
We're not ones to brag, but since you asked...Selfridges has won the award for The World's Best Department Store an unprecedented four times at the IGDS awards, with an additional award for the Best Sustainability Campaign. We were also recognised as a 'Best 25 Big Company to Work For 2020' as awarded by The Sunday Times.