Assistant Buyer - Fashion Jewelry
This position under the direction of the Buyer, the Assistant Buyer is responsible for developing their merchant skills by managing the vendor relationship, strategy, oversight and performance of a small portfolio of programs within a category of business. They will work to develop solid relationships with their vendor, cruise line and internal partners to drive results and solve problems. They will work to meet or exceed financial targets for area of responsibility through consistent analysis of business performance, category trends, and data-based insights.What You’ll Be DoingESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:Strategic Priorities
- Execute strategic vision set by Merchandise Manager for areas of responsibility while supporting multiple cruise line profiles (Budget, Moderate, Upscale, and Luxury). Participate in the strategic planning process, consistently evolving tactics based on emerging trends, market updates, and white space opportunities.
- Collaborate with merchant team in the ideation of customer centric retail experiences that are relevant to each cruise line’s guest demographics and itineraries.
- Maintain competitive market awareness in both domestic and travel retail channels in core markets such as the U.S., Europe, and Asia as well as seasonal itineraries, such as Alaska, Australia and South America.
- Participate in vendor negotiations to receive the best possible pricing, terms, and markdowns.
- Frequently reviews strategies and current business results (category, vendor, and ship performance) with Merchandise Manager.
- Support the Merchandise Manager in developing relevant, profitable assortments driven by consumer trends, cruise line demographics, and data.
- Responsible for initial assortment selection, maintaining assortments based on current sales trends, and effectively communicating assortments to planning.
- Manage assortment mix to drive sales in key items, exclusives, and novelty items. Ensure strategy and assortment execution align with constantly changing guest demands through consistent and rigorous analysis of SKU level performance and maintaining relevancy with consumer trends.
- Acquire skills to create a compelling pricing strategy that delivers a competitive price advantage and savings to consumer.
- Optimize SKU count within each classification of business to ensure the appropriate breadth & depth in each item based on ship profile and volume.
- Work with brands on exclusive product and First at Sea assortment opportunities to provide points of competitive differentiation.
- Prepare for and conduct vendor meetings in partnership with Merchandise Manager.
- Develop partnership with planning team to meet all merchandise sales, gross margin and weeks of supply plans. Ensure that assortment and brand line-up meet category-merchandising targets for sales and profit.
- Apply analytical skills in order to consistently analyze, evaluate & reset to performance each business and brand by ship, focusing on opportunities within core, white space, and exclusive assortments.
- Become proficient in directing and managing currency of inventory, processing markdowns & sku optimization identification on a timely basis to keep inventories clean and maintain age standards.
- Apply assortment management skills to establish deliberate product life-cycles to better manage inventory flow…planned obsolescence
- Observe presentation of monthly overview of performance, areas of success and opportunities, and short-term forward-looking strategies to merchandising and planning leadership at monthly OTB meetings.
- Build a reputation as a positive contributing force within Starboard in all interrelations and communication.
- Acquire knowledge from departments within the organization to gain an exceptional understanding of Starboard processes and key business partners.
- Leverage interpersonal relationships to achieve departmental goals.
- Driving partnership across merch teams
- 4- 6 Years of Experience
- Associates Degree Required
- Novice understanding of retail math and business acumen
- Creative and innovative with a passion for trends. Stays current on market and industry trends through competitive shopping and related industry publications.
- Self-motivated and willing to take accountability for business performance
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and ability to develop relationships; strong collaboration skills needed
- Ability to set priorities, use time effectively and manage multiple priorities; detail oriented
- Duties and activities reviewed periodically. Supervisor monitors work progress and determines actions on unusual items. Moderate level of problem solving ability.
- Less than 10% of time (Periodic travel to local ships)
- Customer Service
- Relationship Management
- Business Acumen
- Drive for Results
- Problem Solving
- Communicating Effectively
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Managing Conflict
- Motivating Others
Some flexibility in hours is permitted, employee must be available during the “core” work hours of 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday – Friday and must work 30 hours each week to maintain full-time status. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.Physical Demands
Office environment with frequent sitting, walking and standing, occasional climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching and balancing. Frequent use of eye, hand and finger coordination enabling use of office machinery. This position requires the ability to
occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 20 pounds. Oral and auditory enabling interpersonal communication as well as communication automated devise such as the telephone.What We Commit To
At Starboard Cruise Services and Onboard Media curating a vibrant world can only be accomplished by vibrant and diverse teams. We are committed to nurturing a workplace where you can feel safe to show up authentically and thrive while being uniquely you. Our North Star guides us to deliver equal employment opportunities for all individuals and to providing employees with an equitable work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We also aim to extend this commitment to the partners we work with and the guests we serve. We are constantly listening, learning, and evolving to deliver on these promises.
We believe our differences make us stronger and are curious to see you leverage your lived experiences to strengthen our team, our culture and your career. At Starboard Cruise Services and Onboard Media we take action so that no one is discriminated against because of their differences, such as age, disability (physical, mental or sensory), ethnicity, gender, gender identity and expression, religion, sexual orientation, military/veteran status, genetic information, family care status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. All employment decisions will be made based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications.
So come onboard with us and celebrate a culture that attracts top talent with shared values and forms the foundation for a great place to work.