The Assistant Buyer ishighly analytical
and performs the technical and mechanical aspects of the buying role and completes functions that contribute to the Buying Team’s ability to achieve sales, gross margin, and inventory turnover goals for assigned categories of merchandise while learning the long-range business strategy within the area of responsibility. The Assistant Buyer works closely with the buying and merchandising support teams in the execution of product selection, assortment planning, vendor communication, inventory productivity management, and marketing of specific lines/categories to significantly improve profitability.
Duties And Responsibilities
- Assists buyer with developing reports to analyze sales and stock position in order to identify business opportunities.
- Responsible for reordering product, determining order quantities and frequency.
- Plan for short-term business objectives: develop assortments, plan promotions, monthly and weekly communication documents.
- Maintains accurate and updated records of assortment recaps and on order. Reviews regularly with buyer and planner.
- Works with buyer to ensure signing is in place to support sales needs.
- Develops collaborative vendor relationships. Works with vendors to obtain necessary details for item setup and PO entry. Tracks order and vendor shipping information to ensure on time delivery and problem solves for delivery issues. Fields new vendor inquiries.
- Extensive store communication and partnership. Field phone calls regarding product assortment, pricing and marketing inquiries in order to drive additional sales opportunities.
- Assists in the development of weekly and monthly internal communication bulletins for stores regarding product assortment, marketing and operational needs.
- Orders and organizes samples for necessary internal meetings.
- Works collaboratively with all internal support departs to ensure merchandise efforts are well communicated.
- Visits retail competition in order to maintain product awareness and keep current on new products offered, competitive pricing and presentation standards.
- Other duties as assigned
- Degree in Business Administration or related area preferred
- 3-5 years experience as an Assistant Buyer or related capacity
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Excel required
- Store experience a plus
- Experience in the assortment development and distribution a plus.
- Demonstrates a strong career commitment and initiative to advance to the next level
- Experience in actively participating and presenting ideas/opinions in department meetings
- Experience or exposure to the negotiation of pricing
- Ability to work efficiently in a highly team orientated environment
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, organize and prioritize workload, and complete work with a sense of urgency, accuracy, and follow-up
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Adapts easily and positively to change and demonstrates flexibility
- Strong math aptitude and analytical skills
- Ability to travel to stores and market when required.