Assistant Buyer- Line & Ammo
DescriptionDevelop Category Assortments
- Assist the buyers in the in-depth development of merchandise assortments by category, collaborating on every aspect of the process. Sit with the buyer to go through the Merchandise Assortment Process and apply financials.
- Participate in vendor pre-line meetings to review product offerings and gain insight into vendor initiatives and strategies. Communicate effectively with vendors post pre-line to secure item level data required for seasonal setup.
- Update or create hindsight recaps for previous season to analyze results. Make recommendations on what worked/what didn't
- Research economic, financial, market, competitive and industry data to explain current business trends and anticipate new trends or big ideas
- Assist with preparation of all line review deliverables, including reporting, decks and sample management. Attend pre-season line reviews with leaders and Chief Merchant.
Manage In-Season Business
- Update and analyze department reporting. Provide actionable recommendations to Buyer based on findings
- Assess opportunities and react to trends within the business, including identifying the underlying cause. This includes updates to advertising, pricing, assortment needs and digital strategies.
- Track vendor shipping on incoming orders, including resolving late or incomplete shipments. Communicate shifts in receipts to business partners to ensure accurate reflection in the OTB and anticipated stock levels
Execute Operational Needs of the Category
- Deliver accurate execution of the tasks associated with new line delivery (style setup/creation, PO writing, etc.). This includes all omni channel and ecommerce needs.
- Review and analyze department reporting. Based on analysis, provide action plan to management for buy-in. Once approved, execute the plan accordingly
- Own the execution of the advertising strategy from Promo Planning activities to ad proof accuracy. Attend ad proofs to ensure accuracy of upcoming advertising, including pricing and copy.
- Stay current on system and reporting enhancements and changes to ensure efficiencies are maximized within Buying office.
- Manage sample acquisition and distribution; this includes procurement, sample room maintenance, and submissions to advertising.
Develop Effective Partnerships
- Build partnerships with Planning, AR, Marketing, Store Operations and Pricing teams. Communicate changes to assortments, pricing, receipt flow and advertising as updates are made.
- Participate in market trips to stores to assess and monitor performance and customer satisfaction. Seek to gain insights from field leadership and employees.
- Ensure accurate and timely communication with the Visual team on upcoming Gameplans to gain alignment with category strategy. This includes offering product placement recommendations and communicating adjustments
Develop Self and Others
- Train and mentor new hires by sharing experience, knowledge and best practices.
- Establish best practices across the larger team to drive productivity and efficiencies. Participate in and act as a representative for the Buying office on cross-functional projects and focus groups as needed.
- Demonstrate passionate curiosity. Seek opportunities to learn, challenge thinking and expand category point of view through asking questions, seeking mentorship and independent research.
Bachelor’s Degree in marketing, merchandising or business related field OR equivalent retail experience
1-3 Years of Experience – Previously in retail, including store level, required.
Previous experience as an Assistant Buyer or Buying internship preferred