Assistant Buyer - Men's Apparel, Public Lands
At Public Lands, we exist to celebrate and protect public lands. We believe these national treasures are meant to be explored by everyone, protected and celebrated so they may live on for generations. With this in mind, we seek to empower the passionate, to guide the curious and to celebrate the courageous on their journey to thrive outside. Our mission grounds us in the communities we serve and drives our commitment to inspire and enable a diverse community of people to experience the profound power of the outdoors, either in their backyards or in our nation’s public lands. We are also committed to our unmatched set of standards for environmental practices.
At the core of our brand is a dedication to provide products and experiences to any explorer in an effort to grow the number of people who love and seek to protect our public lands. We are driven to meet each explorer where they are in their journey, and to do it with an unapologetic commitment to style, quality and service. Our retail locations are designed to inspire and fuel a need to get outside. Our team lives and breathes for their next adventure, no matter how big or small. We are outdoor humans – connected by a common passion, shared experiences and style that is all our own.
The ideal candidate for this role is passionate about the outdoors, consumer behavior, has a taste level that can identify trends in their specific product line/category and acts with purpose first. Communication and cross-functional collaboration are critical skills needed for success in this role. This candidate will need to balance strategic thinking with the ability to effectively execute.
Develop Category Assortments
- Assist the buyers in the in-depth development of merchandise assortments by category, collaborating on every aspect of the process. Sit with the buyer to go through the Merchandise Assortment Process and apply financials.
- Participate in vendor pre-line meetings to review product offerings and gain insight into vendor initiatives and strategies. Communicate effectively with vendors post pre-line to secure item level data required for seasonal setup.
- Update or create hindsight recaps for previous season to analyze results. Make recommendations on what worked/what didn't
- Research economic, financial, market, competitive and industry data to explain current business trends and anticipate new trends or big ideas
- Assist with preparation of all line review deliverables, including reporting, decks and sample management. Attend pre-season line reviews with leaders and Chief Merchant.
Manage In-Season Business
- Update and analyze department reporting. Provide actionable recommendations to Buyer based on findings
- Assess opportunities and react to trends within the business, including identifying the underlying cause. This includes updates to advertising, pricing, assortment needs and digital strategies.
- Track vendor shipping on incoming orders, including resolving late or incomplete shipments. Communicate shifts in receipts to business partners to ensure accurate reflection in the OTB and anticipated stock levels
Execute Operational Needs of the Category
- Deliver accurate execution of the tasks associated with new line delivery (style setup/creation, PO writing, etc.). This includes all omni channel and ecommerce needs.
- Review and analyze department reporting. Based on analysis, provide action plan to management for buy-in. Once approved, execute the plan accordingly
- Own the execution of the advertising strategy from Promo Planning activities to ad proof accuracy. Attend ad proofs to ensure accuracy of upcoming advertising, including pricing and copy.
- Stay current on system and reporting enhancements and changes to ensure efficiencies are maximized within Buying office.
- Manage sample acquisition and distribution; this includes procurement, sample room maintenance, and submissions to advertising.
Develop Effective Partnerships
- Build partnerships with Planning, AR, Marketing, Store Operations and Pricing teams. Communicate changes to assortments, pricing, receipt flow and advertising as updates are made.
- Participate in market trips to stores to assess and monitor performance and customer satisfaction. Seek to gain insights from field leadership and employees.
- Ensure accurate and timely communication with the Visual team on upcoming Gameplans to gain alignment with category strategy. This includes offering product placement recommendations and communicating adjustments
Develop Self and Others
- Train and mentor new hires by sharing experience, knowledge and best practices.
- Establish best practices across the larger team to drive productivity and efficiencies. Participate in and act as a representative for the Buying office on cross-functional projects and focus groups as needed.
- Demonstrate passionate curiosity. Seek opportunities to learn, challenge thinking and expand category point of view through asking questions, seeking mentorship and independent research.
Bachelor’s Degree in marketing, merchandising or business related field OR equivalent retail experience
1-3 Years of Experience – Previously in retail, including store level, required.
Previous experience as an Assistant Buyer or Buying internship preferred
Authentic passion for the outdoors and getting others outside. Knowledge of issues pertaining to the environment and public lands, or willingness to learn