Assistant Buyer PDP-1
Please apply via your internal Workday Account.
Living Spaces is a growing home furnishing brand and we continue to open new locations. We know in order to stay current with the times and trends, we have to perpetually update our look and selection. What has truly sustained our growth — from 1 to over 20 locations, from 100 employees to over 2,000, from a humble home furnishings store to a widely recognized and respected lifestyle brand — are the talented individuals who have taken us there. We are looking for innovative, driven, and passionate professionals to join our team so we can reach even greater heights together.
We believe that a great team member experience leads to an even better guest experience. That is why we place a huge emphasis on building a great culture within our teams. Our ideal candidate will have natural talent: meaning, they possess the capacity and commitment, along with an openness to being coached around skills that will ensure they delight and exceed the expectations of our guests in all areas of Living Spaces business. We also believe in our team members taking ownership of their performance and how that contributes to the overall success of their role.
Position SummaryThe Professional Development Program (PDP) is a rotational two-year development program geared toward ensuring the Merchandising PDP gains an understanding of the various functional areas and business units with Living Spaces as well as offering experiences in Corporate Merchandising with an emphasis in buying and allocation. The role will teach how to strategically build product assortments which grow the business and align with the company’s strategic goals. This program is designed to build leadership bench strength for our future.
Position DescriptionEssential Duties and Responsibilitiesinclude the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Aids Buyer in developing assortment and writing POs
- Assist Buyer with Company and vendor meeting preparation
- Facilitates vendor set-up
- Manage sample process
- Support buyer in identifying business opportunities
- React quickly and decisively to business opportunities to achieve and consistently maintain positive comp sales growth and increased comp margin
- Actively participate in negotiations with Buyer
- Assist Buyer in collection of trend data
- Comp shop and recap results
- Creatively use trend data to apply to business
- Work with Buyer to manage inventory and identify risks in assortment
- Training to develop merchandising skills
- Provide basic analysis of key business data and reporting, as directed by Buyer, including the monitoring of regional merchandise reports, Open-To-Buy, stock analysis and other ad hoc reports
- Develop effective relationships with vendors and appropriately interact with them to follow up on open business issues, as directed by Buyer
- Begin to effectively utilize the merchandising systems and understand warehouse process
- Develop and demonstrate basic product knowledge through sharing information with Buyer as a result of competitive shopping, shopping Ross Stores, and the market
- Ensure timely delivery of merchandise through communication with Buyer, merchant teams, and external vendors
- Support Buyers in preparation of key business meetings (i.e. vendor appointments, style-outs, assortment planning)
Bachelor's degree (B.A. or B.S.) or equivalent from four-year college in Business, Interior Design, Marketing, Management, or related field.
Computer Skills:To perform this job successfully, an individual must have experience in Microsoft Office programs including Office 365. Strong proficiency in Excel is preferred.
Equal Opportunity EmployerIt is our policy to abide by all federal, state, and local laws prohibiting employment discrimination based solely on a person’s race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy, physical disability, mental disability, age, military status, or status as a Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran, marital status, registered domestic partner or civil union status, gender (including sex stereotyping and gender identity or expression), medical condition (including but not limited to, cancer related or HIV/AIDS related), sexual orientation, or any other protected status except where a reasonable, bona fide occupational qualification exists.
E-VerifyLiving Spaces participates in E-Verify. All newly-hired team members are queried through this electronic system established by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Social Security Administration (SSA) to verify their identity and employment eligibility.