Assistant Buyer, Pillows + Throws - West Elm
The buying/merchandising team is responsible for developing and managing the right product assortment to drive sales, inventory, and profit objectives. The team operates as a central hub that interacts with nearly all cross-functional teams within the organization, but most closely partners with the design, sourcing, planning, distribution, visual, and marketing teams to develop and market the assortment across all channels. This role contributes directly to supporting initiatives that will ensure West Elm sustains long-term growth as a leader in specialty retail.
The Assistant Buyer will support the Senior Buyer in managing and overseeing the Flooring Business. This includes sku and systems maintenance, analyzing sales, sharing insights, and identifying opportunities for. The Assistant Buyer collaborates closely with the rest of the merchandising team to build an assortment that is aesthetically balanced, profitable, and diversified across the consciousness initiatives that are part of West Elm's DNA. This role will act as the hub to coordinate information across many different functions within the brand partnering closely with Design, Inventory Management, Sourcing, Production, Site Management and Visual to ensure we are bringing the best product to our customers and marketing it accordingly through our website and in our stores.
- Own weekly reporting and data analysis for business reviews. Constantly analyze sales trends and recommend actions based on findings to Senior Buyer.
- Work with Senior Buyer to define product needs each season. Collaboratively bring commercially viable, profitable product to market, while supporting seasonal concepts and needs.
- Communicate annual and seasonal strategies to Planning and Allocation teams. Pass off final assortments, inclusive of sku counts and estimated IMUs, target flow cadence and exit strategies, and floor plan location for upcoming seasons
- Maintain line lists throughout seasons to ensure accuracy.
- Manage in-season optimization through business reporting and analysis.
- Correspond with cross-functional partners. Resolve, handle and escalate difficult issues to Senior Buyer, Call Center and Store teams.
- Perform market analysis, competitive shop and analyze industry trends to identify emerging trends and white space opportunities.
- Own reviewing catalog proofs and website testing for each season (product details, pricing, naming).
- Partner with Visual, Creative, Signage teams to communicate category strategies on our website and in stores.
- Pass off pertinent information to Digital Teams to ensure flawless site launches each season. Own site proofing. Collaborate with our Digital and Site Teams to develop the best online site experience for our customers.
- Lead end-of-season hindsight analysis and prepare recommendations for future seasons based on findings.
- Are a collaborative team player
- Thrive in fast-paced environments and can shift priorities with ease
- Foster an entrepreneurial spirit and are willing to dig in and contribute to the success of the total team
- Have an aptitude for analytics and ability to use findings to direct and interpret industry trends
- Are problem-solver, able to identify opportunities for increased efficiencies and contribute to building solutions
- Think innovation is critical in a business environment and support others in creative thinking.
- Pride yourself on the quality of work and are focused on details
- Are a motivated self-starter with a desire to make an impact on your team, our customers and our vendor base
- Have a passion for product, and interest in translating trends in apparel/fashion to the home market
- 2-3 years Buying/Merchandising experience
- Previous eCom/Digital experience strongly preferred
- Strong Analytical and Excel skills
- Proficient financial acumen. Capable of reading sales trends, pulling reports, and applying learnings
- Ability to work autonomously, strong decision-making skills with good judgement, and handling multiple priorities
- Passion for product and ability to identify emerging business opportunities
- Must be articulate, assertive, and have excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Proven ability to organize and prioritize work effectively with a high sense of urgency.
- Strong understanding of brand customer and aesthetic
- Experience in a cross-functional role
Once you are here, you can look forward to a wide variety of benefits designed to help you grow, personally and professionally, to keep you healthy, to prepare you for the unexpected, to care for your family and to build a secure future. Depending on your position and your location, here’s a look at what you might be eligible for:
- A generous discount on all Williams Sonoma Inc. brands through multiple shopping channels
- A 401(k) plan and other investment opportunities
- Paid vacations, holidays and other time-off programs
- Health benefits, including health, dental and vision insurance; health and dependent care tax-free spending accounts; medical, family and bereavement leave; same-sex domestic partner benefits; short- and long-term disability programs; life and travel insurance; an employee assistance program
- Tax-free commuter benefits
- A wellness program that supports your physical, financial and emotional health
- In-person and online learning opportunities through WSI University
- Cross-brand and cross-function career opportunities
- Location specific sample sales
- A business casual work environment
- San Francisco based bike share program
- Time off to volunteer
- Matching donations to qualifying nonprofit organizations
- Company-sponsored community involvement
- Various discounts on local businesses
WSI will not now or in the future commence an immigration case or "sponsor" an individual for this position (for example, H-1B or other employment-based immigration
For Sf OnlyWilliams-Sonoma, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Williams-Sonoma, Inc. will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, or other applicable state or local laws and ordinances.
About UsOur Company
Founded in 1956, Williams-Sonoma, Inc. is the premier specialty retailer of high-quality products for the kitchen and home in the United States. Our family of brands are Williams Sonoma, Williams Sonoma Home, Pottery Barn, Pottery Barn teen, pottery barn kids, Rejuvenation, Mark & Graham, west elm, or Outward. These brands are among the best known and most respected in the industry. We offer beautifully-designed, stylish and functional products for every area of the home, including the kitchen, living room, bedroom, home office, closet, laundry room and even outdoor spaces. We've seen some big changes since our first brick-and-mortar store opened more than half of a century ago. What hasn't changed is our passion for high-quality products, functional design, outstanding customer service, and enhancing the lives of our customers and the communities where we operate. Today, we're a multi-brand, multi-channel, global enterprise supported by state-of-the-art technology and some of the most talented teams in retailing - and we're always looking for new energy and ideas.