Assistant Buyer, Textiles - West Elm
We hope you're interested in building a home with us. Even if you don't feel that you meet every requirement listed in this job description, we still encourage you to apply.
About The TeamThe buying/merchandising team is responsible for developing and managing the right product assortment to drive sales, inventory and profit objectives. The team operates as a central hub that interacts with nearly all cross-functional teams within the organization, but most closely partners with the design, sourcing, planning + distribution, visual, and marketing teams to develop and market the assortment for our stores, online and catalog. This role contributes directly to supporting initiatives that will ensure West Elm sustains long-term growth as a leader in specialty retail.
About The RoleThe Assistant Buyer will be responsible for supporting the Buyer in managing and overseeing multiple classes within a given category. Reporting into the Buyer, this role will focus on growing our businesses through core product expansion and category white space. The successful candidate will be able to leverage cross-functional relationships as well as external relationships, possess strong organization and follow through to deliver results, and is eager to create and push product strategies forward. The Assistant Buyer collaborates closely with the rest of the merchandising team to build an assortment that is aesthetically balanced, profitable, and diversified across the initiatives that are part of West Elm’s DNA.
- Work with the Buyer to develop the seasonal assortment plans to define product requirements for on time delivery and commercially viable product.
- Work with Design and Sourcing counterparts to manage product from spec out to PO placement.
- Provide administrative and operational support including line list updates, database and system updates, compiling product information and promotion and markdown execution.
- Maintain PLM and line lists throughout seasons to ensure accuracy.
- Order and track samples and manage coordinating sample needs with catalog, ecommerce, PR and early floor set teams.
- Communicate annual and seasonal strategies by providing Planning and Allocation teams with final assortments, inclusive of sku counts and estimated IMUs, target flow cadence and exit strategies, and floor plan location for developing purchase projections and buy plans
- Manage in-season optimization through business reporting and analysis.
- Correspond with cross-functional partners. Resolve, handle and escalate difficult issues to Buyer, VP, Call Center and Store teams.
- Perform market analysis, competitive shop and analyze industry trends to identify emerging trends and white space opportunities.
- Responsible for reviewing catalog proofs and website testing for each season (product details, pricing, naming).
- Partner with Visual to communicate category strategies and mark-downs. Work with signage team to develop in-store signage congruent with Big Bets and promotional strategies.
- Lead end-of-season hindsight analysis and prepare recommendations for future seasons based on findings.
- Are a collaborative team player
- Thrive in fast-paced environments and can shift priorities with ease
- Foster an entrepreneurial spirit and are willing to dig in and contribute to the success of the total team
- Have an aptitude for analytics and ability to use findings to direct and interpret industry trends
- Are problem-solver, able to identify opportunities for increased efficiencies and contribute to building solutions
- Think innovation is critical in a business environment and support others in creative thinking.
- Pride yourself on the quality of work and are focused on details
- Are a motivated self-starter with a desire to make an impact on your team, our customers and our vendor base
- Have a passion for product, and interest in translating trends in apparel/fashion to the home market
- BA/BS Required.
- 1-3 years in Merchandising.
- Advanced Excel skills. Advanced retail math skills.
- Ability to read sales trends and apply learnings through financial acumen
- Passion for product, strong understanding of brand customer and aesthetic
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Attention to detail. Ability to work in fast-paced, often-changing environment.
Once you are here, you can look forward to a wide variety of benefits designed to help you grow, personally and professionally, to keep you healthy, to prepare you for the unexpected, to care for your family and to build a secure future. Depending on your position and your location, here’s a look at what you might be eligible for:
- A generous discount on all Williams Sonoma Inc. brands through multiple shopping channels
- A 401(k) plan and other investment opportunities
- Paid vacations, holidays and other time-off programs
- Health benefits, including health, dental and vision insurance; health and dependent care tax-free spending accounts; medical, family and bereavement leave; same-sex domestic partner benefits; short- and long-term disability programs; life and travel insurance; an employee assistance program
- Tax-free commuter benefits
- A wellness program that supports your physical, financial and emotional health
- In-person and online learning opportunities through WSI University
- Cross-brand and cross-function career opportunities
- Location specific sample sales
- A business casual work environment
- Time off to volunteer
- Matching donations to qualifying nonprofit organizations
- Company-sponsored community involvement
- Various discounts on local businesses
WSI will not now or in the future commence an immigration case or "sponsor" an individual for this position (for example, H-1B or other employment-based immigration
This role is not eligible for relocation assistance.
The expected starting pay range for this position is $19.35/hr -$28.85/hr . Applicable pay ranges may differ across markets. Actual pay will be determined based on experience and other job-related factors permitted by law. In addition to competitive pay, compensation may include a variety of other components like benefits, paid time off, merit, and bonus opportunities.
About UsOur Company
Founded in 1956, Williams-Sonoma, Inc. is the premier specialty retailer of high-quality products for the kitchen and home in the United States. Our family of brands are Williams Sonoma, Williams Sonoma Home, Pottery Barn, Pottery Barn teen, pottery barn kids, Rejuvenation, Mark & Graham, west elm, or Outward. These brands are among the best known and most respected in the industry. We offer beautifully-designed, stylish and functional products for every area of the home, including the kitchen, living room, bedroom, home office, closet, laundry room and even outdoor spaces. We've seen some big changes since our first brick-and-mortar store opened more than half of a century ago. What hasn't changed is our passion for high-quality products, functional design, outstanding customer service, and enhancing the lives of our customers and the communities where we operate. Today, we're a multi-brand, multi-channel, global enterprise supported by state-of-the-art technology and some of the most talented teams in retailing - and we're always looking for new energy and ideas.