Assistant Buyer, Wall Decor - West Elm
The buying/merchandising team is responsible for developing and managing the right product assortment to drive sales, inventory and profit objectives. The team operates as a central hub that interacts with nearly all cross-functional teams within the organization, but most closely partners with the design, sourcing, planning + distribution, visual, and marketing teams to develop and market the assortment for our stores, online and catalog. This role contributes directly to supporting initiatives that will ensure West Elm sustains long-term growth as a leader in specialty retail.
The Assistant Buyer will be responsible for supporting the Buyer in managing and overseeing multiple classes within Decorative Accessories, as well as analyzing sales, sharing insights, and identifying opportunities with the Buyer and the DMM. The Assistant Buyer collaborates closely with the rest of the merchandising team to build an assortment that is aesthetically balanced, profitable, and diversified across the Consciousness initiatives that are part of West Elm's DNA.
- Work with the Buyer to develop the seasonal assortment plans to define product requirements for on time delivery and commercially viable product.
- The team operates as a central hub that interacts with nearly all cross-functional teams within the organization, but most closely partners with the design, sourcing, planning, distribution, visual, and marketing teams to develop and market the assortment across all channels
- This role contributes directly to supporting initiatives that will ensure West Elm sustains long-term growth as a leader in specialty retail - this includes sku and systems maintenance, analyzing sales, sharing insights, and identifying opportunities for future growth
- The Assistant Buyer collaborates closely with the rest of the merchandising team to build an assortment that is aesthetically balanced, profitable, and diversified across the consciousness initiatives that are part of West Elm's DNA
- Work with Design and Product Development counterparts to manage product from spec out to PO placement.
- Help establish and maintain web standards for category pages, PIPs and merching strategy inclusive of facets, related products & imagery strategy
- Provide administrative and operational support including line list updates, database and system updates, compiling product information and promotion and markdown execution.
- Order and tracking samples and manage coordinating sample needs with catalog, ecommerce, PR and early floor set teams.
- Communicate annual and seasonal strategies by providing Planning and Allocation teams with final assortments, inclusive of SKU counts and estimated IMUs, target flow cadence and exit strategies, and floor plan location for developing purchase projections and buy plans
- Manage in-season optimization through business reporting and analysis. – including owning weekly reporting and data analysis for business reviews
- Correspond with cross-functional partners. Resolve, handle and escalate difficult issues to Buyer, Call Center, and Store teams.
- Perform market analysis, competitive shop and analyze industry trends to identify emerging trends and white space opportunities.
- Partner with Visual to communicate category strategies and mark-downs. Work with signage team to develop in-store signage congruent with Big Bets and promotional strategies.
- Lead end-of-season hindsight analysis and prepare recommendations for future seasons based on findings.
- Are a collaborative team player and can manage a fast-paced environment. You have an innate willingness to dig in and contribute to the success of the total team.
- Thrive in fast-paced environments and can shift priorities with ease
- Have an aptitude for analytics and ability to use findings to direct and interpret industry trends relevant for the business
- Are problem-solver, able to identify opportunities for increased efficiencies and contribute to building solutions
- Foster an entrepreneurial spirit and are willing to dig in and contribute to the success of the total team
- Think innovation is critical in a business environment and support others in creative thinking.
- Pride yourself on the quality of work and are a stickler for details.
- Are a motivated self-starter with a desire to make an impact on your team, our customers, and our vendor base.
- 2-3 years Merchandising experience
- Strong Excel skills
- Financial acumen
- Ability to read sales trends and apply learnings
- Passion for product and ability to identify emerging business opportunities
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Ability to work autonomously, strong decision-making skills with good judgement, and handling multiple priorities
- Strong understanding of brand customer and aesthetic
- Experience in a cross-functional role
- Proven ability to organize and prioritize work effectively with a high sense of urgency
- Must be articulate, assertive, and have excellent communication and presentation skills
- Are a collaborative team player
Once you are here, you can look forward to a wide variety of benefits designed to help you grow, personally and professionally, to keep you healthy, to prepare you for the unexpected, to care for your family and to build a secure future. Depending on your position and your location, here’s a look at what you might be eligible for:
- A generous discount on all Williams Sonoma Inc. brands through multiple shopping channels
- A 401(k) plan and other investment opportunities
- Paid vacations, holidays and other time-off programs
- Health benefits, including health, dental and vision insurance; health and dependent care tax-free spending accounts; medical, family and bereavement leave; same-sex domestic partner benefits; short- and long-term disability programs; life and travel insurance; an employee assistance program
- Tax-free commuter benefits
- A wellness program that supports your physical, financial and emotional health
- In-person and online learning opportunities through WSI University
- Cross-brand and cross-function career opportunities
- Location specific sample sales
- A business casual work environment
- San Francisco based bike share program
- Time off to volunteer
- Matching donations to qualifying nonprofit organizations
- Company-sponsored community involvement
- Various discounts on local businesses
WSI will not now or in the future commence an immigration case or "sponsor" an individual for this position (for example, H-1B or other employment-based immigration)
This role is not eligible for relocation assistance.
For Sf OnlyWilliams-Sonoma, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Williams-Sonoma, Inc. will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, or other applicable state or local laws and ordinances.
About UsOur Company
Founded in 1956, Williams-Sonoma, Inc. is the premier specialty retailer of high-quality products for the kitchen and home in the United States. Our family of brands are Williams Sonoma, Williams Sonoma Home, Pottery Barn, Pottery Barn teen, pottery barn kids, Rejuvenation, Mark & Graham, west elm, or Outward. These brands are among the best known and most respected in the industry. We offer beautifully-designed, stylish and functional products for every area of the home, including the kitchen, living room, bedroom, home office, closet, laundry room and even outdoor spaces. We've seen some big changes since our first brick-and-mortar store opened more than half of a century ago. What hasn't changed is our passion for high-quality products, functional design, outstanding customer service, and enhancing the lives of our customers and the communities where we operate. Today, we're a multi-brand, multi-channel, global enterprise supported by state-of-the-art technology and some of the most talented teams in retailing - and we're always looking for new energy and ideas.