Assistant, CAD Designer - Home/Textile Design
Macy’s is proudly America’s Department Store. For more than 160 years, Macy’s has served generations at every stage of their lives. Customers come to us for fashion, value and celebration.
Macy’s Merchandising curates the best national and private brands to support our customer’s self-expression from off-price to luxury. Merchandising ensures Macy's is the premier fashion authority using a high acumen for products and trends as well as strong relationships with vendors in the marketplace. Our team maximizes sales and gross margin for each product category by identifying, procuring, and assorting the products that our customers demand.
Do you have an eye for products and trends? Join Macy’s Merchandising and create connections that surprise and delight our customers at every turn.
Job OverviewThe Assistant CAD Designer is responsible for all aspects of CAD Design including development of prints, color combinations, stripes, graphics and plaids for each season. This position will support the Senior, CAD Designer in developing and executing a strategic vision, with a progressive, customer centric-approach all while delivering on sales and profit objectives. This role requires the ability to leverage technical expertise to identify opportunities and develop an assortment. Fundamental requirements include the ability to collaborate, take ownership of your business, and achieve results. Candidates must be comfortable with quickly evaluating and sun-setting legacy approaches that no longer align to the strategy. The ideal candidate will be known for both vision and an equally strong orientation for speed.
Essential FunctionsIn Season Forecasting
- Assist Senior, CAD Designer on decisions made on in-season print/pattern changes to make for the department and vendors based on sales, margin and turn forecast in partnership with Product Development and Buying Team
- Support team in strategic meetings with recommended print/pattern assortments (Key Resources, Design, Team Management)
- Assist in modifying the print/pattern assortment based on Product Development Team and customer input
- Assist in identifying the key print/patterns that comprise each classification
- Adhere to the seasonal time and action calendar for area of responsibility
Assortment Vision, Strategy & Selection
- Assist Senior, CAD Designer with the design and development of colors, prints, and fabric simulations
- Assist in creating flat sketches computer systems
- Re-color and design prints, plaids and stripes
- Scan and clean up prints to assist vendors on executing to proper number of screens
- Assist with creating proper repeats of patterns
- Prepare mini-boards/set-up for presentations and market
- Assist in designing graphics for prints, logos, etc.
- Assist with designs “companion” prints
Overseas/Domestic Vendors, Marketing, Product Integrity, & Technical Design
- Maintain an industry presence that allows for connections, new business opportunities and ideas at Macy’s. Represent and support the Macy’s brand while maintaining this presence and building relationships.
- Communicate extensively with design and product teams.
- Collaborate with Vendor Community(Overseas/Domestic).
- Communicate regularly with design & product management teams to gather input and share print/pattern development direction.
- Communicate on a daily basis with overseas offices to share print/pattern development information.
- Assist Senior, CAD Designer in selecting and approve patterns, scale, and colors.
- Use CAD programs for style, color and pattern development.
- Competitive shop and determine action necessary to address competitive challenges.
- Identify any print opportunities and provide suggestions.
- Regular, dependable attendance & punctuality.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Design or Fine Arts.
- Experience in retail or CAD Design Internships.
- Proficiency in CAD software
- Strong color sense/print sense
- Ability to view and differentiate the color spectrum
- Practices open and continuous communication, values keeping others informed, and effectively presenting information clearly and concisely.
- Excellent leadership, facilitation, and interpersonal skills, with the ability to work across functional lines and at many levels.
- Ability to think creatively, strategically, and technically
- Knowledge of MS Office computer programs are required
- Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and Company needs.