Assistant Designer -Children's Apparel
At Gerber Childrenswear we stand for quality, everyday comfort, and safety. From the clothes we design, to the fabrics we select, to our focus on sustainability and community, we have got what baby needs for their first 1000 days and from one generation to the next.
Our mission is to be trusted partner to those all responsible for the parenting journey. We do this by seeking every day to answer the question -Will this be safe and bring comfort and joy to every child?
We are dedicated to our mission and passionate about collaboration, moving quickly, breaking down barriers, leveraging technology, eliminating bureaucracy and constantly striving to evolve. Our cultural foundation is built on quality, trust, and value, all bundled together in 90 years of happy little clients while focused on continuously improving to ensure many more years of happy little clients.
This is a full time, hybrid role with our office being in New York City. This position does require 3 days in office and 2 days that can be completed remotely from home.
Who We Are Looking For:
In the Assistant Designer role you will work with the Design team to execute our brand identity through supporting concept creation, development and design of a variety of products that honor our commitment to being a trusted partner in the parenting journey! In the Copywriter role, you’ll work in a multidisciplinary team on a diverse assortment of projects. You’ll play a key role in preparing line review presentation materials, concept boards, fabric and color boards and flat sketches. You partner with highly creative and collaborative design, merchandising, product management and sourcing teams, so strong communication skills are important! Having an enthusiastic, consumer-focused, mindset for design and the creative process, is a must.
What You'll Do:
- Research global markets in order to identify new seasonal trends, silhouettes, fabrics, techniques, product categories and competitive inspiration.
- Assist in developing concepts, specific materials, color palettes, prints and sketches for a variety of product lines
- Develop strong internal cross functional relationships with Merchandising, Production, Technical design, Souring, Visual Merchandising and Marketing to ensure product concept to store and site execution is a seamless experience.
- Partner with Production and Tech Design to create tech packs and communicate vision behind fit and product design, ensuring execution, quality, and desired margin targets are achieved. This includes the creation of mechanical sketches, color cards, artwork and putting print patterns into repeat.
- Assist in creating and input of all necessary information on detail sheets for product development and sourcing
- Attend Business Calendar meetings and communicate work in progress status, communicates factors impacting deadlines in finalizing development information to meet calendar dates
- Complete structured assignments, like attending fit sessions with manager, and revises sketch and design packages based on stated priorities.
- Manage administration and follow up of product design process such as presentation boards creation to ensure team stays organized and hits required deadlines
Who You Are:
- Two-year AAS or College degree in Design or equivalent
- Must have excellent working knowledge of Illustrator, Photoshop, and Excel, Would strongly prefer experience in BlueCherry or similar PLM system.
- 1-2 years of experience in fashion apparel design, with preference to experience in children’s apparel
- Strong time management skills and ability to prioritize workload to meet all objectives and allow the various initiatives of the Design team to be accomplished in a timely manner
- Must be detail oriented individual and a strong self-starter
- Must be able to take direction. This position requires establishing effective work relationships across multiple levels and functions.
- Ability to work under pressure in an environment of constant shifting priorities and change
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated success in both written and verbal communication.
- Must be a team player, have ability to manage multiple projects with strict deadlines and take initiative
What We Offer:
- Competitive Pay –We believe in rewarding success and showing our employees just how much they’re valued in a variety of different ways, including compensation. The hiring base annual salary range for this 50,000.00 to 65,000.00 USD.
- Health and Wellness- There’s nothing basic about our comprehensive health and wellness programs and offerings. While at work and at play, we aim to support a healthy lifestyle.
- Time away from work- Sometimes we need time away to be with family, enjoy our hobbies, focus on our health or just simply recharge. We are committed to helping our employees create a work-life harmony!
- Growth and Development- We are constantly seeking to offer opportunities and support for personal and professional development.
- Financial Planning and wellbeing- No matter what financial goals our employees have set, we want to help them get there. We offer access to benefits, programs and education to help our employees to protect income, pay for expenses and invest in the future. Including a generous 401K match!
- Extras, discounts and perks- Generous discounts to our company and related companies, is just one of the cool extras we offer!