ASSISTANT DESIGNER- E - PROF
Job Title: Assistant Designer, AV & Security System Estimator
General Statement of Duties (Job Posting Purposes): AV & security estimator shall prepare cost
estimates for projects to aid management in bidding on or determining price of products and services.
Upon being awarded projects, position shall coordinate with others in creating full engineering packages
which are used to communicate scope of work and other job specific details to others both within and
outside the organization.
Shall participate in the complete life cycle of a project. Initiates concept design, sales support, submittal
creation, installation team support, and close out of project documentation.
Supervision Received: Works independently on broad projects under direction of a Department Manager.
Supervision Exercised: No direct supervisory duties required.
Examples of Duties: (Any one position may not include all of the duties listed, nor do the listed
examples include all that may be found in this job.)
• Analyze complete drawing packages and other documentation to prepare time, cost, materials, and labor
• Assess the cost effectiveness of products, projects, or services.
• Track actual costs relative to bids as the project develops.
• Consult with clients, vendors, personnel in other departments or construction foremen to discuss and
formulate estimates and resolve issues.
• Confer with engineers, architects, owners, contractors and subcontractors on changes and adjustments to
• Prepare estimates used by management for purposes such as planning, organizing, and scheduling work.
• Prepare estimates for use in selecting vendors or subcontractors
• Prepare and maintain a directory of suppliers, contractors, and subcontractors.
• Continuously focus on finding ways to be more efficient and reduce costs in processes and practices
relating to both project management and general estimating practices.
• Development of system designs that meet customer functional and budgetary requirements.
• Responsible for always maintaining professional attitude and delivering excellent customer service.
• Maintain high-level of personal expertise in current and future technology
• Lead process of creating functional and connection-level drawings for audio, video, control, and
• Oversee and submit Bill of Materials and monitor the ordering of A/V equipment and materials.
• Lead complete life cycle of a project, including concept design, sales support, submittal creation,
installation team support, and close out documentation.
• Define functional requirements for control systems programmer.
• Troubleshoot and debug AV systems.
• Complete training programs from manufacturers, industry associations, and company as required.
• Lead in creating Design Department objectives and goals.
Knowledge of networking fundamentals such as: TCP/IP, addressing, firewalls, routers, and VPN.
Knowledge of leading design principles.
Knowledge of A/V equipment.
Skill in leading senior level design initiatives.
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both verbal and written.
Skill in defining requirements.