Assistant Designer (Graphics and Sweats)
maurices is a women’s apparel retailer that celebrates feel good fashion for real life. It’s committed to its service with style promise and offering affordable fashion that takes women from workday to weekend and all of life’s adventures in between. With inclusive sizing from 0-24, maurices is famous for its versatile styles including key categories such as denim, dresses, tops, and more.
Established in 1931, maurices operates 935 stores in communities across North America. Discover even more fashion at maurices.com.
Ready to apply? We currently have an opportunity for a Assistant Designer (graphics and sweats) to join our team located at our Maurices NYC Dsgn Off-maurices-New York, NY 10011.
Ready to help bring feel good fashion for real life™ to hometowns across North America? Since 1931, we’ve helped women look and feel their best every day — making maurices not only a special place to shop, but a great place to work and connect. Apply today!
The Assistant Designer provides creative & operational support to the Women’s Design team through all aspects of the product life cycle, from initial concept to production. This person needs to be proficient in following design direction, hitting deadlines in a timely manner, and spending time to understanding the maurices design process. The Assistant Designer should exhibit attributes of a good team player: is curious & solution oriented, utilizes both analytical/creative brain, has a high aptitude for new digital processes, is motivated by our customer and is passionate about the work they do at maurices.
Our Design Pillars/Ideology:
- INNOVATION CULTIVATOR. Curious. Strategic. Futuristic. Solution Oriented. Utilizes Art/Science Muscle
- TEAM BUILDER. Leverages others for success. Highly Collaborative.
- CREATIVE INFLUENCER. Researches Trend. Confident in Creative Choices. Evolves Product. Influences change for good. Inspires. Ideates in a relatable way.
- CULTURE KEEPER. Builds upon the culture of the company. Acts with kindness and empathy.
Core Competencies / Functional Responsibilities:
- PRODUCT. ‘Fabric-first’ design; understanding of fabric construction and brand aesthetic. Assists with inspiration & trend research. Sketches & creates line-sheets in Adobe Illustrator. Creates tech-packs in PLM system. Maintains digital & physical organization of samples, files, materials, etc for each season. Attends and participates in product fittings.
- ORGANIZATION. Highly organized and detail oriented. Prioritizes work streams to delivery work that meets objectives within deadlines. Seeks to understand the product lifecycle calendar; participates in the deliverables and responsible for milestone meeting preparation materials.
- COLLABORATION. Works & problem-solves with cross-functional partners in sourcing, tech-design & merchandising to develop and approve product throughout the design process. Is flexible & thrives in fast paced, often-changing, collaborative environment.
- BUSINESS ACCUMEN. Understands overall objectives of the department. Effectively reports current trends in relation to category and works to connect current sales results with future seasonal line plans. Assists in building of assortment. Works with cross-functional teams to bring product strategy to life in all channels of business.
- CUSTOMER CURIOUSITY. Actively participates in continuous learning about our customer, the competition and relates creative findings to the business. Passionate about working for maurices & designing for ‘Liv’
- COMMUNICATION/PRESENTATION. Excellent communication & interpersonal skills. Gives clear comments to vendors. Shows aptitude for presentation.
- BA or BFA specializing in Fashion Design and/or 1+ years industry related experience.
Maurices NYC Dsgn Off-maurices-New York, NY 10011
Annual Salary: $58,500.00 - $64,000.00
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Company is committed to hiring and developing the most qualified people at all levels. It is our policy in all personnel actions to ensure that all associates and potential associates are evaluated on the basis of qualifications and ability without regard to sex (including pregnancy), race, color, national origin, religion, age, disability that can reasonably be accommodated without undue hardship, genetic information, military status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected classification under federal, state, or local law. We do not discriminate in any of our employment policies and practices. All associates are expected to follow these principles in all relationships with other associates, applicants, or others with whom we do business.