Assistant Designer - Hotel Collection
Macy's is the premier fashion authority, curating the best national and private brands to support our customer’s self-expression from off-price to luxury. Macy’s Merchandising team has a high acumen for products and trends, and drives relationships with vendors in the marketplace. This team maximizes sales and gross margin for each product category by identifying, procuring, and assorting the products that our customers demand.
Job OverviewThe Home Textiles, Charter Club department (Bedding, Throws, Decorative Pillows, etc.) is looking for an organized and enthusiastic Assistant Designer with a passion for Home Product Design and a great eye for Textile Patterns and Colors. Must be confident in Illustrator, Photoshop and PowerPoint as well as have strong communication skills. Position requires both on-site (main office for home is in Herald Square) and remote work. So candidate must live within commuting distance of Manhattan.
The Design Assistant is responsible for assisting in identifying and designing into the Private Brand direction through materials, trims, styles, colors and patterns. The position will support the Design team in developing and executing a strategic vision, with a progressive, customer centric-approach all while delivering on sales and profit objectives. This role requires the ability to leverage technical expertise to identify opportunities and develop an assortment. Fundamental requirements include the ability to collaborate, take ownership of your business, and achieve results.
In Season ForecastingEssential Functions:
- Assist on in-season Design changes to make for the department and vendors based on sales, margin and turn forecast in partnership with Product Development, Sourcing and Buying Teams
- Assist in creating and distributing tech packages
- Collaborate with CAD artists in print and pattern designs for the collection
- Participate in strategic milestone meetings with recommended assortments (Key Resources, Design, Team Management)
- Adhere to the seasonal time and action calendar for area of responsibility
- Assist in the design of exclusive products and development of designs that support merchant objectives and Macy’s brand DNA
- Prepare line and presentation materials/set-up for design owned milestone meetings
- Support VP of Design, Sr Designer/Design Director in managing the needs of the Design Team
- Participate in research and development of seasonal trends
- Assist in shopping the retail and trend (fabric/color/fashion) markets seeking new merchandise ideas, as needed and support fit sessions with Technical Design and Design Teams
- Assist in developing flat mechanical sketches for design development packages (to technical design and overseas) and in approval of counter samples Overseas/Domestic Vendors, Marketing, Product Integrity, & Technical Design
- Assist in the tracking and approval of fabric samples, lab dips, strike-offs and other development materials
- Partner with Product, Sourcing and Buying Teams in set-up and presenting line reviews and buy meetings for area of responsibility
- Communicate regularly with Buying team to gather input and share line development direction
- Bachelor's Degree from a 4-year college or university
- 1-2 years direct experience
- Experience in Retail or Design Internships required
- Clear and proactive communication approach with the ability to work across functional lines and at many levels.
- Proficiency in MAC operation, MS office, Excel and Adobe Design programs
- Ability to think creatively, strategically and technically
- Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and Company needs.
- Working knowledge of PLM