Assistant Designer II, Polo Ralph Lauren, Underwear and Sleepwear
HanesBrands Inc. is a global company with more than 59,000 associates in 33 countries, all working together to create the world’s best apparel to include iconic brands such as Champion, Hanes, Bali, Bonds, and many more. We offer enormous opportunities for creative thinkers, for people with a passion for consumers, and for people who think like business owners. We’re building a truly inclusive culture, where people of different backgrounds, races, cultures and experiences come together to make us stronger. We are a sustainable company committed to making a positive difference in our communities around the world.
Responsible for assisting in the strategic development and product improvements that will drive growth and profitability of the Polo Ralph Lauren Underwear and Sleepwear business. This is accomplished by close work and involvement with multiple functional areas including Polo Licensing and Design, Marketing, CMG and Sourcing. An understanding of retailer and marketplace trends, as well as, strong product knowledge and experience is required.
The incumbent is responsible for the overall product design of the Polo Ralph Lauren sleepwear and underwear business, including all channels of trade. In order to execute this responsibility, the incumbent must remain current of all marketplace and retailer trends in fashion and color, textile and product manufacturing technology and changes in consumer attitudes and lifestyles. This requires the ability to think creatively and technically to ensure profitable manufacturing. To remain current, the incumbent reviews industry trade publications, regularly audits the marketplace for changes in the competitive set. The incumbent will have contact will all functional areas including marketing, product development, design, cost accounting, manufacturing quality and CMG.
- Regularly monitor and report changes in the retail environment
- Benchmark the competition in terms of fit, fabric, construction and positioning
- Follow and report current trends and innovation
- Ability to create surface design, pitch sheets and color separation for all graphic art
- Review and approve layout and color of seasonal strike offs/ handlooms
- Create scorecard to launch seasonal product development
- Attend and take notes on all fit sessions
- Daily communications with vendors
- Maintain seasonal calendars and communication with RLC partners
- Track the development of key trims, fabrics and findings
- Create trim sheets/ design detail sketches for BOM hand off to tech/ merchandising team
- Review top of production samples and work with appropriate functional areas to resolve issues
- Identify and drive the implementation of cost savings initiatives
Internal/External Account Interaction
- Assist in creating seasonal style guides for account meetings
- Responsible for product presentation/ showroom set-up, as well as competitive benchmarking analysis
Link Front End to Back End
- Develop and maintain visual Style References
- Work cross functionally to manage new product launches and product improvements from innovation to industrialization
- Manage and update the style count tracking document
- Provide product details that feed the where make process
- Manage and coordinate any product requests and sample requests for research, line meetings, account presentations, and internal/external meetings
- Assist in the seasonal Ideation meeting and maintaining/driving the Product Innovation Pipeline
- Identify and drive product improvements and cost savings initiatives.
- Follow specific RLC design guidelines and maintain tracking of milestone meetings
- Education/degrees: Bachelors degree in fashion design, graphic/surface design, apparel management or textile design. Advanced Degree preferred.
- Special Skills: Computer knowledge required -, Adobe creative suite, Microsoft Office, Powerpoint, Excel, Outlook
- Years of experience: 1-2 years in Apparel design/ Graphic design
- Type of experience: Design, graphic design, surface design or Product Development
- Special Knowledge: An individual pursuing the assistant designer position should have a working knowledge of knit apparel manufacturing, product features and benefits, yarn types and construction, as well as associated cost. Candidate should have an understanding of retail buying calendar and mark-up structure. Also, the individual should be visionary with a good sense of color and style. Proven ability to work under tight deadlines, excellent interpersonal and communication skills and ability to work effectively in a matrix organization.
To qualify, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States and should not require now, or in the future, sponsorship for employment visa status
Only applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact us directly: