Assistant Designer - Tailored Clothing
is a leading omni-channel specialty retailer of menswear, including suits and a broad selection of business casual offerings as well as the largest provider of tuxedo rental products in the U.S. and Canada. We operate retail stores in all 50 states and Canada. Our U.S. retail stores are operated under the brand names ofMen's Wearhouse, Jos. A. Bank, Men's Wearhouse and Tux, and K&G Fashion.
Our Canadian stores are operated under the brand name of Moores in ten provinces. Our purpose is to help our customers love how they look for moments that matter. We accomplish this by providing a personal, convenient, one-of-a-kind shopping experience with compelling products and world-class service. We help fulfill this mission by providing our employees with an engaging and inclusive workplace focused on teamwork, growth and respect. If you want to make a difference, be part of a great team and grow, you might be a perfect fit.
We offer a generous package of health, financial, professional, and work-life benefits. Benefits typically include:
- Medical, prescription, dental, vision, savings accounts, wellbeing program, life/disability, commuter, accidental insurance, legal services, 401k.
- Bereavement, paid holidays, floating holidays, vacation pay, sick leave, adoption assistance, employee discounts and so much more!
We understand the demands of work, school, family, and personal responsibilities. Through our work-life resources and programs we offer services for every stage of life to help you manage the day-to-day needs. We offer programs such as:
- Zoom-Free Fridays | so you can catch up on work
- Summer Fridays | from Memorial Day to Labor Day so you can enjoy a head-start to the weekend
- Holiday Early Departure | close out early the business day before a company observed holiday
About the Job
The Assistant Designer is an integral part of creative/fashion design and related processes for Tailored Brands' annual spring and fall menswear collections. This position requires an individual with passion, aptitude, and basic knowledge with respect to men's fashion and clothing/apparel/accessory design. The Design Assistant helps facilitate the realization of the Design team's concepts in one of three product category areas: Tailored, Sportswear, or Furnishings.
What You'll Do | Key Accountabilities
- Escalate exceptions or issues to the development calendar
- Assist Design team in preparing divisional assortments for presentation at Buy Meetings
- Request material/swatch submits based on defined requirements (fiber content, performance characteristics, price point, etc.) at the direction of the Designer
- Assist with the preparation and editing of swatch boards, mood boards, and any other presentation materials
- Produce and maintain development books, including handlooms, lab dips, and other fabric specifications and samples
- Maintain all mill swatches throughout the season and manages the fabric library of fabric samples and prototypes
- Assist in preparation of seasonal library and facilitate work flow as needed
- Assist Design team in preparing for weekly calls with buyers by preparing seasonal swatch/image cross references to class codes
- Cut and prepare swatches to send to Suppliers and Buyers as part of development
- Ensure the sample room is organized and well-maintained to properly catalogue store bought samples and prototypes
- Assist with researching and compiling design inspiration imagery
- Input information into the PLM system as needed
- Assist with the coordination of trim at the Design team's direction
- Support other design teams as needed
- Perform other duties as assigned
Skills & Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in fashion design, fashion merchandising/marketing, and/or design
- Six or more (6+) months of internship or work experience strongly preferred
- General knowledge of men's fashion
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented and collaborative environment
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Able to adjust priorities to meet deadlines with good follow through and a sense of urgency
- Organizational skills necessary to handle multiple tasks and complete them within deadlines
- Detail oriented with attention to accuracy
- Demonstrated creative abilities, fashion awareness, and color analysis
- Technical sketching ability (flat and illustration)
- Proficient in Illustrator, Photoshop and Excel
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office programs, including Word, Excel and Outlook
Work Environment, Physical & Mental Demands
- Ability to sit and work at a computer keyboard for extended periods of time
- Ability to stoop, kneel, bend at the waist, and reach on a daily basis
- Able to lift and move up to 25 pounds occasionally
- Must utilize visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer and office equipment
- Hours regularly 40 hours per week; must be able to work overtime as needed
COVID-19 Vaccine Policy
Tailored Brands requires all Corporate & Shared Services employees either (a) establish that they have been fully vaccinated; or (b) obtain an approved reasonable accommodation exempting them from this requirement due to a medical reason, or because of a sincerely held religious belief or practice, as a condition of employment. For purposes of this policy, a fully vaccinated person is someone who has received all recommended dose(s) of a COVID-19 vaccine authorized by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or the World Health Organization (WHO), including vaccinations that have been approved pursuant to an Emergency Use Authorization, and it has been at least 10 days since the administration of the final dose. Except in states under Executive Order.
: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with this job.