Assistant Designer, Women's Footwear (Private Label)
Location Name:Camuto Design Studio
Designer Brands Inc. is one of North America’s largest designers, producers and retailers of footwear and accessories. The company operates a portfolio of retail concepts in nearly 1,000 locations under the DSW Designer Shoe Warehouse, The Shoe Company, and Shoe Warehouse brands and operates leased locations in the U.S through its Affiliated Business Group. Designer Brands designs and produces footwear and accessories through Camuto Group, a leading manufacturer selling in more than 5,400 doors worldwide. The Camuto Group owns licensing rights for the Jessica Simpson® footwear business, and footwear and handbag licenses for Lucky Brand® and Max Studio®. In partnership with a joint venture with Authentic Brands Group, Designer Brands also owns a stake in Vince Camuto®, Louise et Cie®, Sole Society®, CC Corso Como®, Enzo Angiolini® and others. More information can be found at www.designerbrands.com.
General SummaryThe Assistant Designer position supports the design team for a product line. This position participates in the development of product and trend direction for the season and assists in timely and accurate entry of all specifications for new designs. The candidate should be involved in and learn the design process by supporting the administrative work needed to ensure samples and production requests meet the required timeline for speedy delivery. This role will be for a DSW Exclusive Brand.
Reports to:Design Director
Essential Duties And Responsibilities
- Communicates basic level design information to overseas teams
- Interprets design and applies taste level to sketches
- Compiles the research by pulling tears, obtaining screenshots, and collects market shopping research
- Creates sketches of products, incorporating direction of design leaders.
- Enter design specs and coloring the line and entering into the PLM System.
- Participate in research and identifying seasonal fashion, fabric, technique, trim and merchandise trends
- Conducts various design administrative work, including spec entry, line sheets, and maintains updates
- Based on product DNA, creates or edits CADs and edits sketches to meet design updates
- Accountable to follow calendar deadlines
- Manages packing and unpacking of samples for showroom set up
- Meet departmental standards for quality, quantity and turn time expectations
- Shipping and receiving coordination for samples and materials needed for design and edits
- Learning and assisting in all aspects of design
- Ability to use market research, trends and industry knowledge to participate in upcoming design meetings
- Must be a team player, exhibiting strong communication skills and flexibility
- Strong organizational, time management and prioritization skills, attention to detail and accuracy
- Professional demeanor and customer service oriented
- Skilled in Microsoft Office Suite; Illustrator and Photoshop
- Ability to sketch, CAD and understand foundational design elements
- 1-3 years experience in a related field
- Previous design internship preferred
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience in footwear design, fashion or industrial design in order of preference. Design degree or currently enrolled in program with intentions to graduate
Designer Brands believes that all persons are entitled to equal employment opportunities. We do not discriminate against any protected class including race, color, religion, religious creed, gender, sex, national origin, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition (defined as genetic information or impairments related to cancer), ancestry, marital status, family care leave, military and veteran status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or based on any protected category under federal, state, or local laws. Designer Brands also makes reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants and associates with disabilities unless doing so creates an undue hardship, in accordance with all legal requirements. Any applicant requiring a reasonable accommodation during the application process or applicant who requires an accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job should request for accommodations by asking to speak with a Store Manager, District Manager, and Regional Director, or by contacting Human Resources at HR-DSW@dswinc.com. Designer Brands will work with the individual to attempt to identify a reasonable accommodation that will not impose an undue hardship on Designer Brands. For any inquiries related to the hiring process, please reach out to DSWTalentAcquisition@dswinc.com. © 2019 Designer Brands Inc. All rights reserved.