Assistant Designer, Women’s Sleepwear & Intimates
Macy's is the premier fashion authority, curating the best national and private brands to support our customer's self-expression from off-price to luxury. Macy's Merchandising team has a high acumen for products and trends, and drives relationships with vendors in the marketplace. This team maximizes sales and gross margin for each product category by identifying, procuring, and assorting the products that our customers demand.
Job OverviewThe Design Assistant is responsible for assisting in identifying and designing into the Private Brand direction through materials, trims, silhouettes, colors, and patterns. The position will support the Design team in executing a strategic vision, with a progressive, customer centric-approach all while delivering on sales and profit objectives. This role requires the ability to identify opportunities and develop an assortment. Fundamental requirements include the ability to collaborate and achieve results.
Essential FunctionsAssortment Vision, Strategy & Selection
- Assist in the execution of product designs that achieve overall product strategy and merchandise objectives
- Prepare line and presentation materials/set-up for design-owned milestone meetings
- Assist in researching the retail market seeking new merchandise/trend ideas/inspiration (materials, fashion, color, trade shows) as needed.
- Assist on in-season Design changes to make for the department and vendors based on sales, margin, and turn forecast
- Assist in creating and distributing tech packages
- Collaborate with CAD artists in print and pattern designs for the collection
- Participate in strategic meetings with your cross-functional partners
- Adhere to the seasonal time and action calendar for area of responsibility
- Assist in developing flat mechanical sketches for design development packages and request development samples
- Assist in the tracking and approving strike-offs, samples, and other development materials
- Partner with Product, Sourcing, and Buying Teams in set-up and presenting line reviews and buy meetings for area of responsibility
- Communicate regularly with Omni partners to gather input and share line development direction
- Bachelor's degree required
- 1-2 years of direct experience
- Experience in Retail or Design Internships required
- Clear and proactive communication approach with the ability to work across functional lines and at many levels.
- Proficiency in MAC operation, MS Office, Excel, and Adobe Design programs
- Ability to think creatively, strategically, and technically
- Working knowledge of PLM
- Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and Company needs.