Assistant Designer, Women's Sweaters, Knits & CWA
Club Monaco is an international men’s and women’s lifestyle brand with a distinctly urban casual point of view, best defined as a play of opposites: mixing vintage with new, hard with soft and eclecticism with minimalism. Each season, Club Monaco offers customers must have fashion and key pieces that together are the foundation of a modern wardrobe.
- Assist women’s sweaters & knits design and development.
- This position reports to the Design Director of Women’s & Men’s Sweaters & Knits
- Contribute in all aspects & stages of the design process under guidance of the Design Director and the Senior Designer. Collaborate on concept research, trends, yarns, knits fabrics & colors.
- Research market and fashion trends in all sweaters and knits categories.
- Develop applicable design details and source vintage to inform and elevate designs.
- Conduct trim research, and initiate sourcing at the beginning of each season.
- Analyze selling in conjunction with merchandising plans and apply learnings in developing the following season. Responsible for interpreting the seasonal direction into innovative and commercial designs. Update past best sellers to re-engage the existing customer.
- Design products that align with the brand’s vision and resonate with current and new customers. Own sketching and presentation of all original ideas.
- CAD styles for clear visuals and easy communication with the merchandising team.
- Create tech packs with clear and detailed specifications, measurements and construction diagrams. Execute detailed drawings and input BOMs in PLM.
- Evaluate and maintain pertinent BOMs, sketches and trim details.
- Support the designers during the tech pack process while building and maintaining a strong collaboration with the Technical Design Team.
- Maintain and update seasonal line sheets & design boards.
- Ensure the processes are as efficient and productive as possible to meet seasonal deliverables.
- Collaborate with the Print and Color Team on development and execution. Assist in the approval of lab dips, strike-offs & custom yarns.
- Launch and approve mockups, artwork and embroidery trials ensuring they are accurate and meet the brand’s quality standards.
- Attend prototype and production fittings to give precise feedback and ensure design intent is intact. Take notes during all fittings as changes must be reflected in updated sketches and BOMs.
- Collaborate with the merchandising team on chase styles and exclusives, based on the needs of the line.
- Demonstrate cross-functional partnership when collaborating with team members to achieve common objectives.
- Responsible for organizing and maintaining inspiration garments, fabric headers and trims library.
- 1-3 years working as an assistant designer or similar roles with an emphasis on sweater and/or knit garments
- Experience in designer & contemporary apparel preferred.
- A bachelor’s or associate degree in fashion design required.
- Must possess an astute knowledge of the North American market & customer.
- Familiarity with Club Monaco and possess an understanding of its distinct aesthetic.
- Self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit and the ability to manage multiple seasons at once.
- Adaptable to a fast-paced working environment and flexible to pivot based on business objectives.
- Aptitude for designing and sketching. Ability to communicate designs clearly.
- Strong independent researching skills, highly creative and passionate.
- Extensive knowledge of garment construction and experience fitting sweaters and knits for all categories.
- Experience developing custom embroidery layouts that emphasize attention to detail.
- Collaborative approach to design and able to give and receive constructive criticism.
- Clear communication and organizational skills.
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite, & MS Office.
- Experience in PLM is highly preferred. If lacking experience, training will be provided upon hire, as this is an essential function for the role.
- Experience in Figma is a plus.
- This position is full-time and works in the office five days a week.
For individuals assigned and/or hired to work in New York, Club Monaco includes a reasonable estimate of the salary or hourly rate range for this role. This accounts for the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions; including but not limited to business or organizational needs, skill sets, experience and training, licensure, and certifications.
A reasonable estimate of the current base is $28.85 per hour.