Assistant Designer, W's - Tailoring
In 1997 a pair of pants changed the way American women dress. Recognizing the need for clothes that felt great and fit perfectly, we developed an innovative stretch fabric that would dramatically improve a pant’s performance. These pants had the power to make women feel confident, smart, and stylish. Never before had American sportswear been so easy to wear to work and everywhere else.
When Theory for men was established, similar foundation principles were used, so that they, too, could get dressed in innovative, highly functional, and stylish clothes.
Our commitment to design, fit, and construction ensures exceptional comfort and quality. We source our materials from the best mills in the world and test every fabric for its hand-feel, durability, and design. Versatile, sophisticated, and easy to wear, our seasonal collections are designed with purpose.
The Fast Retailing acquisition of Theory in 2004 spurred global expansion of the brand; today, Theory operates 221 freestanding stores worldwide. The launch of e-commerce in 2010 and collaborative relationships with department and specialty stores continue to position Theory as a continually expanding international omnichannel phenomenon. We believe cool, expertly tailored pieces made from the best materials have the power to change the way we feel, improve the way we work, and inspire the way we live.
Become an integral part of the Theory business. We are looking for an Assistant Designer - Tailoring to join our Women's Design team. This role will report directly to the Associate Designer for Tailoring/Softs and act as a support system to the Women's Design team as a whole.
- Support the entire design team with day to day tasks with a specific focus on Tailoring/Softs
- Will learn and own the setting up of styles in Centric & Airtable system
- Owns sketch and line sheet updates for Tailored/Soft pieces
- Owns Tailoring/Softs Design and trend research and Design Board updates
- Builds and manages all sketches and tech packs and style pass-offs for carry-over styles
- Creates 3D and CAD mock ups during the development process
- Manages trim research and development, owning the organization of these components in tandem with Product Development
- Supports Associate Designer-Tailoring/Softs in the crafting of tech packs for new and core styles every season
- Responsible for notating all Design meetings as it pertains to tailoring/Softs as well as being an active participant in the fit process
- Will manage and become the communication touch point for all collection changes and updates for cross department reference
- Keeps the fit room and fit supplies organized and well-stocked
- Dresses models backstage for critical internal and external presentation meetings
- Maintains a clean and organized working area after major presentation meetings and walkthroughs
- Able work in a team environment
- Have had 1-2 year(s) related design experience across multiple brands
- Ability to be flexible, proactive, and adaptable in a fast-paced environment
- Highly organized and detail oriented
- Possesses excellent time management skills
- Highly proficient in Adobe Creative Suite
- Moderately proficient in Excel
- Executes all design and presentation material with precision and finesse
- Fundamental knowledge of woven/cut & sew apparel construction
- Prior experience and a specific interests in Tailoring and true Outerwear design and construction is a plus
- Substantial Fashion/Design and Art History knowledge
- Able to research and report on industry trend direction, color direction, and fabric innovations
- Possess basic, fundamental Textile science knowledge
- Must have basic knowledge around the impact of the garment industry on the environment and be willing to adopt low impact design processes, and assist in the building of low impact product
- Must be able to work in a manner that reflects Theory’s working culture and design and product philosophy
- Strong ability to sketch both hand drawn and CAD in an efficient and precise manner. If not experienced in drawing on IPad, candidate must be open to learning
- Communicates well in a professional environment
- Experience in Clo 3D is a plus
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Fast Retailing does not discriminate against applicants or employees because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status, disability, age, citizenship, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or because of any other status or condition protected by applicable federal, state or local law.