Assistant Handbag Designer
You must be physically located in New York City in order to apply for this role
Caraa is a functional modern handbag brand based in New York City founded by CFDA award winning designer Carmen Chen Wu and CEO Aaron Luo who comes from corporate America finance. Caraa is a DTC and Native Digital brand, a hybrid between technology start-up and fashion.
Caraa’s company culture is independent, respectful, and progressive. The company brings together a multitalented team that thinks outside the box and can problem-solve like entrepreneurs in every situation.
Caraa’s company ethos is to make fashion that not only checks off the cool-factor but that is truly designed with thought and purpose to make the world a better place: we build product that marries functionality, sustainability, and beauty all together. We design with purpose only and are highly conscious not to create waste for our planet. We are a product-first brand focused on curating tasteful accessories and we don’t follow fleeting fashion trends.
Caraa values diversity and inclusion, and we welcome driven and smart individuals of all backgrounds and experiences to apply for this position.
This is a unique position for a young or experienced handbag designer to further their skills and knowledge in handbag techpacks, construction, and production with a highly technical and solution-driven fashion brand.
You will help the designer co-founder Carmen to take ideas from concept to shelf by doing design research, creating techpacks, communicating with factories, organizing materials, and assist to execute seasonal photoshoots.
Caraa is comprised of team of avid doers and quick problem solvers. You must enjoy a fast work pace and be a perfectionist at the same time. You must enjoy working in a team of highly organized and efficient members.
As the design assistant, you must have exceptional taste, have a great sense of color, and be very attentive to detail.
The candidate will be working in the caraa headquarters in Chelsea, Manhattan alongside the co-founder and Creative Director of the brand.
What you'll do:
Assist the Creative Director in the following areas:
· Design research
· Illustrating handbags and more
· Techpacks and material research
· Communicating with factories
· Graphic design
· Editorial Photography
· Be ready to take on any task no matter small or big
What will qualify you:
· Respectful and professional
· Can follow instructions very well
· Highly organized
· Enjoys fast-paced work and efficiency
· Good time manager
· Hard working and has a positive attitude
· A self-starter
· Takes constructive feedback well
· Loyal and committed
· 3+ years of work experience
· Good verbal and written communicator
Required Hard Skills:
· Highly proficient in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Excel and Google Sheets
· Hand-illustration skills
· 2+ years of experience creating handbag Techpacks and BOMs (Bill of Materials)
· Competitive compensation depending on the experience and seniority of the candidate
· Become an early employee of a growing brand
· Discounts to the brand