Assistant Merchandise Manager
Create a healthier, brighter future for pets, pet parents and people!
If you want to make a real difference, create an exciting career path, feel welcome to be your whole self and nurture your wellbeing, Petco is the place for you.
Our core values capture that spirit as we work to improve lives by doing what’s right for pets, people and our planet.
- We love all pets like our own
- We’re the future of the pet industry
- We’re here to improve lives
- We drive outstanding results together
- We’re welcome as we are
Petco is a category-defining health and wellness company focused on improving the lives of pets, pet parents and Petco partners. We are 29,000 strong, working together across 1,500+ pet care centers, 250+ Vetco Total Care hospitals, hundreds of preventive care clinics, eight distribution centers and two support centers.
Position PurposeThe Assistant Merchandiser will support the overall category strategy and objectives established by the category Business Unit Leader. For the assigned area of responsibility, which may be full-chain or partial-chain, work with the Business Unit Leader and Merchandise Manager, and multiple cross-functional teams to assist in the development of the assortment plans that meet or exceed the agreed upon category financial targets, maximize sales; and increase profit margin. Along with strong collaboration with many of Petco’s cross-functional teams this individual will be responsible for administrative upkeep of buy plans, interfacing with the Omni-Item Ops team on execution, drive end-to-end owned brand project management, build POGs with space planning, proof signage and offers, sample management, working with vendors on assortment and operational decisions, financial report creation, and store field communication.
Essential Job FunctionsThe incumbent must be able to perform all of the following duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. For Assigned Area Of ResponsibilityIn collaboration with the Business Unit Leader and Merchandise Manager this role will assist in tasks that meet or exceed the agreed upon category financial targets and are aligned with overall category strategic plan and with PETCO’s customer value proposition to exceed customer expectations. They will ensure goals and priorities are aligned with category strategic plan and use objective means to monitor progress toward those goals. Coordinate team members to meet timelines. Establish and maintain strategic relationships with all internal and external stakeholders including PETCO management, cross-functional teams, subordinates, internal business partners and vendors. Based upon knowledge of products, customer trends and market factors, utilize the category review process to identify key factors affecting the performance of assigned sub-category. Collaborate with and provide direction to cross-functional teams to ensure the assortment analysis/planning, and replenishment, merchandise analysis and pricing analysis as well as owned brand project management is executed appropriately. Review sales by item and sub-category to determine whether appropriate profit margins are being maintained. Develop innovative solutions to tactical and operational problems and roadblocks. Provide ad-hoc analysis on SKU and attribute performance in support of the merchandise strategy and annual financial plans.
Participate in and/or conduct meetings and presentations in various formats – formal and informal, planned and impromptu. Prepare Field and Operations communications to provide proper information on special issues/concerns. Partner with advertising and visual presentation teams to maximize impact of promotions through sign requests, sign proofing, and promo validation. Maintain administrative upkeep of Merchandise Manager’s buy plans/BSDs to drive alignment across all support partners with a focus on the Inventory and Item Operations team. Drive and lead owned brand timelines and assist in project brief maintenance in the product development process. Participate in recurrent Shop and SBU meetings to build business acumen and product knowledge. Procure and manage product samples. Work with vendors and owned brand to manage the timely procurement of samples for multiple channels, banners, QA testing and marketing collateral. Ensure all activities are in compliance with federal, state and local laws, regulations and ordinances in collaboration with compliance team. Interact professionally and effectively through verbal and written communication with all professional contacts with emphasis on company interests. Independently prioritize and accomplish multiple tasks within established timeframes.
Other Duties And ResponsibilitiesPerforms additional duties as required. Perform special projects as assigned. Where its warranted small category ownership will be given.
Nature of Supervision (Received)General direction is provided on all responsibilities performed. General instruction may be provided on non-routine tasks. Results are monitored after the fact. Independent decision-making occurs on matters which impact operations, sales, and profitability for the company. First time encountered issues are reviewed with supervisor, but the incumbent is expected to utilize judgment and independent thinking in making recommendations.
Supervisory/Leadership ResponsibilityThis position does not supervise partners. It will collaborate with a cross-functional team over which it does not have direct authority. The Assistant Merchandiser is expected to partner with this team through the successful execution of tactical imperatives that support the business plan for the assigned sub-category.
Planning and Problem Solving
This is the first level of Merchandising. This position has some previous experience in this capacity either internally or externally. The assigned area of responsibility is complex.
ImpactThe products and vendor relationships are complex.
Education And ExperienceA bachelor’s degree, preferably in marketing or merchandising, and at least 1 year of related experience; or, equivalent combination of education and related experience. This position requires a knowledge of and competency in the following areas with the ability to:
- Collaborate with a cross-functional team.
- Persuade and motivate others with the ability to flex style as the situation requires.
- Accomplish objectives through partnerships built on mutual trust, fairness, integrity and honesty.
- Partner effectively with vendors and internal PETCO partners.
- Understand and communicate with a diverse set of leaders and partners at various levels and within various functional areas that impact their sub-category.
- Manage multiple tasks with the talent to shift center of focus from one task to another.
- Business acumen and analysis skills necessary to learn merchandising concepts and work on complex projects.
- Strong computer skills are required including MS Office Suite and the ability to learn and utilize internal applications.
- Choose Correctly - Uses logic and common sense when making decisions or taking action. Uses existing rules and procedures to guide actions. Considers the impact or consequences of actions and decisions (e.g., impact on sales). Addresses issues in a timely way.
- Serve The Customer - Asks questions to more accurately understand customer needs (e.g., identify purchase needs). Seeks feedback from customers. Addresses customer needs by involving the right people (resources) at the right time. Meets or exceeds customer service needs, and reports barriers.
- Perform the Work - Asks questions to clarify assignments and priorities. Deals with high-priority work activities first. Makes sure work is done correctly. Surfaces problems and issues with speed and accuracy.
- Strive For Results - Takes personal responsibility to take action. Puts in extra effort and work to accomplish important results. Sets high standards for his/her own performance. Finishes assignments and tasks in a timely manner.
- Improve Performance - Suggests process and practice improvement ideas. Accurately reports process improvement data. Carefully monitors the accuracy and quality of outputs, products, and services. Makes suggestions to address problems and process breakdowns.
- Communicate With Others - Listens carefully to others. Communicates clearly and concisely. Provides appropriate level of detail in communications. Writes with accuracy, simplicity, and completeness. Keeps others informed.
- Relate to Others - Relates to others in an accepting and respectful way, regardless of their personality or background. Builds relationships by identifying and discussing common interests and priorities. Remains positive and respectful, even in difficult situations (e.g., when dealing with angry customers). Involves others as appropriate when issues affect them.
- Perform Ethically - Does not cover up problems or blame others for mistakes. Meets commitments. Is honest and direct in dealing with people. Acts consistently with stated policies and practices. Does not disclose confidential information (e.g., identity of suspected shoplifters).
- Readily Adapt - Works productively in the face of ambiguity or uncertainty. Recovers quickly from problems and setbacks. Deals constructively with mistakes and problems. Seeks opportunities to acquire new knowledge and skills. Accepts and uses feedback, without becoming defensive.
Most tasks are performed while seated indoors at a personal computer. Day and overnight domestic travel to vendors, seminars and/or conferences is required periodically throughout the year.
ContactsThis position will have occasional contact with senior management to report on issues relating to assigned sub-category. It will have daily contact with cross functional team members, business partners from the NSC, field store management and the distribution centers to address and resolve issues relating to the execution of sub-category strategies and tactics.
The above description is meant to provide an overview/summary of the nature and level of work being performed; it should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and requirements of the job. PETCO reserves the right to modify the content formally or informally, either verbally or in writing, at any time without advance notice and employees are required to follow any other job-related duties/functions requested by their supervisor. Further, all employment at PETCO is of an at-will nature and, as such, the company reserves its right to terminate any position or employee (with or without notice and with or without cause) within its discretion. Petco Animal Supplies, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or any other protected classification.
The pay range(s) below are provided in compliance with state specific laws. Pay ranges may be different in other locations.
$55,800.00 - $83,800.00
Hourly or Salary Range will be reflected above. Exact rate of pay will be based on position, location, and experience level. For a more detailed overview of Petco Total Rewards, including health and financial benefits, 401K, incentives, and PTO -see https://careers.petco.com/us/en/key-benefits