Assistant Merchandise Planner
Originating as a small surf shop in 1968, South Moon Under has evolved into a national fashion retailer. We are building a vibrant, diverse team of creative, friendly, skilled, and passionate people who want to work hard and win even harder. We value our employees, and we enable them to deliver their best work. If you want to work for a company where we drive for success every day, without compromising human connection, you’ve found your Team!
At South Moon Under, our mission is summed up in four words – love. create. drive. imagine. We love this team - We create and curate beautiful things - We drive to be our best and we inspire others to tap into their power - We imagine and execute on our visions every day. Our Team is filled with smart, skilled, dynamic, creative, and passionate employees who drive to be better every day. Our customers are our inspiration. We personally curate our products to make our customers look and feel good. When our customers walk into our stores, we aim to connect and spread the love.
Assistant Merchandise Planner is responsible for providing analytical support to the buying and planning teams and provides critical administrative functions for the day-to-day overall business reporting. This role supports the Planning Team with relative data to drive the business and ensure execution of key strategies in company financials, assortment, and pricing initiatives. The Planning team is responsible for developing short and mid-range merchandise strategies, buy quantification and financial plans, working cross-functionally with our Merchandising, Marketing, Pricing, Allocations and Store Operations teams to achieve key financial objectives
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
· Assist in managing the planning processes to meet volume, profit and inventory targets
· Generate & analyze on a daily basis sales and inventory, productivity, best/worst selling, and promo reporting
· Align and systematically input weekly promotional cadence
· Align and systematically upload price adjustments for category markdown cadence
· Coordinate with Planning, Merchandising and Allocations to evaluate store level assortments and performance
· Report build out for pre-season strategy templates and historical hindsight reporting
· Providing Productivity analysis, ad hoc analytics, and trend analysis. Offering top level recommendations to Planning team to influence cancellations, future purchases, and assortment strategies.
· Maintain and update tools & reports to support the needs of the business.
· Partner with allocation & supply chain teams to assist in driving right product, in the right place at the right time, through data and transfer execution
· Develop enterprise-wide risk mitigation plans and execute when appropriate.
· Manage SKU & style intensive businesses.
· Manage location intensive assortments.
· Communicate effectively with employees at all levels of the company.
· Support and adhere to all company policies, procedures, and guidelines.
· Other duties as assigned.
Job Required Knowledge, Skills and Education:
· Bachelor’s Degree
· Experience in Merchandise Planning or Inventory Management preferred.
· General understanding of a retail product assortment
· Basic Retail Financial Acumen/Math
· Self-Starter, Strong Communication Skills, Flexible, Collaborative
· Knowledge of retail fundamentals, ad hoc reporting/analysis
· Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
· Analytic Skills: Ability to think objectively and interpret meaningful themes from quantitative and qualitative data
· Problem Solving & Decision Quality: Able to use rigorous logic and methods to solve problems with effective solutions
· Relationship Management: Able to build constructive and effective relationships with a broad and diverse group of business partners, both internally & externally.
· Planning and Priority Setting: Demonstrate an ability to set objectives and goals and organize work appropriately to meet and exceed goals
· Process Management: Can identify and articulate the processes necessary to get things down efficiently and align resources effectively complete activities
· Risk Management: Anticipate risks and identifies contingency plans and processes to prevent disruptions when risks occur
· Coachability: Ability to embrace constructive feedback with an open mind. Willingness and eagerness to learn, question norms, and continuously improve.
· This position requires less than 5% travel
Reports to: Senior Planner
· Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. South Moon Under maintains the right to modify all or part of any job description at its discretion to meet and or exceed the needs of the business