The Associate Buyer owns a category of business; this includes establishing and maintaining supplier relationships to purchase products, planning and executing business plans that improve the shopping experience, achieves financial targets, and keeps us ahead of the competition. Fosters cross functional collaboration with marketing, eCommerce merchandisers, logistics, data integrity, product development, and store operations to deliver results. This position also supports the buyer and director in shop and category strategy development. Leads by example, demonstrating a strong work ethic and commitment to our customer, our people, and the company. This position requires up to 20% travel and may require working on some weekends to meet desired objectives. The Associate Buyer owns and runs a $15-$40M category of business, under the oversight of their Buyer. The Associate Buyer must demonstrate the aspiration and desire to progress into a Buyer role, as well as possess the potential to do so as determined by their leadership group.
- Develop and manage merchandise assortments for a category of business, in partnership with the buyer – including selecting and purchasing merchandise by considering type, quality, source, timing, delivery, mix, and promotional strategy.
- Optimize sales, inventory levels and net margin dollars by analyzing, evaluating/recommending, negotiating and executing adjustments as needed, with their business partners.
- Analyze economic, financial, market, competitive/noncompetitive and industry data to assess current business strategies or identify future business opportunities. Assume the customer’s perspective and ensure merchandising strategies will meet customer needs (current and future).
- May direct the activities of the Buyer Coordinator. Provide guidance and prioritization of workflow and daily tasks.
- Build strategic relationships with vendors, cross functional partners, and directors to discuss the business overall, recent trends, opportunities and issues. Leverage vendor relationships to gain knowledge and data as it pertains to product category. Partner with buyers to manage product selection and pricing negotiations.
- Shop national JOANN commerce channels (stores and website), as well as other competitive/noncompetitive retail to identify new trends and opportunities, evaluate merchandise mix, evaluate competition, and translate findings into executable product plans.
- Creates reports to assist in managing the business. Ensures accuracy of merchandising reports, assortment sheets, and promotional/pricing plans.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- 4 Year / Bachelors Degree in Merchandising, Marketing, or Business related field
- 4 year's experience required
- Experience as an assistant buyer, inventory management, or product development preferred
This position will be located at:
5555 Darrow Road Hudson, OH 44236