Uncommon Goods offers a constantly evolving assortment of original, creative products. We partner with independent makers and small businesses to offer our customers a wide variety of items that they love to surprise loved ones with (and treat themselves, too)! We are built on better business practices and committed to having a positive impact on people and the planet. Learn more here. The best part of Uncommon Goods is us—our team. We've been around for over 20 years because of all the wonderful people who make UG the one-of-a-kind company it is.
Learn more about our products, B Corp certification, guiding principles, Better to Give program, and team members you might be working with on our website.
EVERYONE IS WELCOME HERE
At Uncommon Goods, we believe we’re all out of the ordinary. That’s why we’re committed to making diversity, inclusion, equity, and belonging part of everything we do. In pursuit of that goal, we’ve made significant changes to our business, from how we find our products to how we build and cultivate our team. Our hope is to be everyone’s favorite place to work!
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. If you would like to request any accommodations during the application process, please email [email protected]
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are seeking an Associate Buyer of children’s products to drive growth through commercially successful products and expand our reach in the kids’ toy, game, and apparel community through innovative partnerships. Your job is to discover the newest, most original and uncommon products, support small makers, and help small businesses scale all while driving your financial goals to their full potential. Buyers at Uncommon Goods pride themselves on finding that needle in the haystack product to delight our customers, are excited by new challenges in growing their category, and are motivated further by applying their passion for merchandising in an assortment of sustainable, eco-friendly products. A stand-out candidate for the Associate Buyer role will have familiarity with the compliance constraints within this category and remain undeterred while navigating potential obstacles with their vendors.
The Associate Buyer - Kids will report to the Director of Merchandising.
- Lead the Kids category to launch new and commercially successful products based on return on investment, assortment, and business needs
- Onboard makers and designers and develop strong relationships that support our brand and business goals
- Analyze assortment and industry trends, staying current on product distribution, competitive pricing, and market positioning
- Initiate and develop effective vendor partnerships through market research, attending trade shows, and following up on product leads
- Effectively communicate with vendors in resolving issues
- Collaborate with other departments to ensure the highest level of merchandise quality and customer satisfaction
- Recommend products for print and digital marketing campaigns
- Partner with the creative team in showcasing new items in print and online
- Perform weekly and quarterly business analysis and hindsight presentations
- Achieve new item, gross margin, gross profit, and exclusive sale goals
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience preferred
- Passion for the Uncommon Goods brand
- Design eye and enthusiasm for scouting, testing, and developing new products
- Strong relationship management and negotiation skills; market and business savvy
- Empathetic collaborator with excellent analytic and communication (verbal and written) skills
- 4+ years’ experience in buying, product development, and/or the consumer products industry required
- Experience in the Kids and/or Toys & Games industry preferred, ideally with an understanding of children’s product safety requirements
- Casual work atmosphere, fun company events. (Thanks to our team's creativity, we've devised ways to feel connected remotely, too, and it's still fun.)
- 40% discount on our products
- Benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401(k) with company match, PTO, and paid parental and family leave. Learn more about your FMLA rights here.
- Confidential 1-on-1 coaching through Bravely available to all year-round team members
- Professional development opportunities & education reimbursement
- Company stock options and eligibility for our annual performance bonus program.
This is currently a remote role, but on-site work may be requested in the future. Fully vaccinated team members are welcome to work onsite, provided they follow the monthly testing schedule required for all onsite vaccinated team members. The health and safety of our team is of utmost importance. We are continually updating our hybrid work strategy with this in mind. Masks are currently required for all team members while working onsite. Uncommon Goods complies with New York City's mandatory COVID-19 vaccination mandate. Uncommon Goods will consider requests for accommodation from this mandate because of a medical reason or a religious objection.
We are currently accepting remote candidates in the following states: NY, NJ, CT, PA, OR, TX, MN, AZ, FL