Bring Your Amazing Self to Work
At Macy's, Inc. we're on a mission to create a brighter future with bold representation for all. This is our Mission Every One. We know that each person here is unique. So we respect and invest in each individual to create growth, pride, and satisfaction. If we are able to bring our whole selves to work, it translates into a more abundant and wider array of ideas and energy for all to benefit from. Our success will be built on amazing colleagues, working together.
The Associate Buyer will elevate Macy’s competitive position by buying merchandise to drive sales and profitability across stores and online for your family of business. You will work closely with existing vendors to curate a distinguished Macy’s assortment, as well as seek out new and differentiating vendors to satisfy our customer demand. The Associate, Buyer will focus on achieving sales, gross margin, turn over and pricing execution in your assigned area of the business. You will develop and implement strategies by vendor, collaborating with planning to analyze and respond to sales trends.
An Associate Buyer is known as a trusted, collaborative, and results-oriented leader, serving as a key business partner and change agent with the ability to lead through influence. Demonstrating professional maturity and industry credibility, the ideal candidate must navigate and lead effectively through significant complexity. A crucial aspect is the candidate's comfort and effectiveness in promptly evaluating and phasing out legacy approaches that no longer align with the current strategy. Equally valued is the candidate's reputation for visionary thinking and a strong commitment to swift decision-making.
What You Will Do
- Make all purchasing decisions independently of Buying Director that satisfies the customer demand to achieves sales, turn and margin plan.
- Understand competitive marketplace and pursues white space opportunities that align with company strategy.
- Competitive shop and determine the action necessary to address competitive challenges. Identify any product opportunities and provide suggestions and input in product development to vendors.
- Support Buying Director to drive in-season business effectively by influencing promotional strategies based on current business needs.
- Attend Market appointments prepared with strategic assortment plans and an understanding of product to support customer preferences.
- Set the vision and determine call to action for assortment-building opportunities in partnership with Planning, Pricing and Cross Functional partners.
- Collaborate with planning partner to develop and execute assortment strategy.
- Develop pre-season assortment vision that ties to company key priorities and insights from Digital and Planning Director counterparts.
- Partner with Financial Planning to ensure department-level financial targets support assortment strategy.
- Decide on in-season changes for the department and vendors based on sales, margin, and turn forecast from Financial Planning.
- Support the Financial Planning and Buying Director in building seasonal strategy components based on targets.
- Provide Buying Director with category, class, and item performance analysis to assist in determining in-season item-level changes to make.
- Maintain an industry presence that allows for connections, new business opportunities, and ideas at Macy’s. Represent and support the Macy’s brand while maintaining this presence.
- Communicate with vendors to ensure timely collection of MDAs/markdowns/RTVs and partner with Financial Planning to ensure alignment with in-season VMT input.
- Rely on data analytics (PE and dynamic pricing) to develop POS and Perm pricing strategy and ensure execution is as intended, hitting financial metrics and driving sales and profitability.
- Review discount rate and sales performance in promo planner, making adjustments as needed to hit financial sales and margin goals.
- Execute both POS pricing in promo planner, using dynamic recommends, and work with the associate buyer on permanent markdown execution in UPM.
Ability to understand and analyze financial aspects to make informed strategic decisions.
Retail Strategy and Tactics: In-depth knowledge of market trends, customer behaviors, and competitive landscapes..
Change Management: Comfort and effectiveness in leading teams through change ensuring successful adaptation.
Visionary Thinking: Ability to be a forward thinking and innovative leader with a vision to drive transformative strategies propelling family of business to new heights.
Communication Skills: Effective communication with candor, valuing open debate to bring the best ideas to life.
Growth Mindset: A growth-oriented mindset, coupled with the ability to coach teams in embracing growth opportunities.
Strategic Planning: Experience in driving strategies and plans supporting a compelling core and curated assortment.
Collaboration and Coordination: Skill in partnering closely with General Business Managers (GBMs) and Digital Directors for coordination and alignment across digital strategy and families of business.
Who You Are
- Dedicated to fulfilling ideals of diversity, inclusion, and respect that Macy’s aspires to achieve every day in every way.
- Candidates with a bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in a related field are encouraged to apply. 3+ years of direct experience.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference; apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Regularly required to sit, talk, hear; use hands/fingers to touch, handle, and feel. Occasionally required to move about the workplace and reach with hands and arms. Requires close vision.
- Able to work a flexible schedule based on department and company needs.
- An inclusive, challenging, and refreshingly fun work environment
- Competitive pay and benefits rooted in principles of equity
- Performance incentives and annual merit review
- Merchandise discounts
- Health and Wellness Benefits across medical, dental, vision, and additional insurance
- Retirement Savings Plan with 401k match opportunity
- Employee Assistance Program (mental health counseling and legal/financial advice)
- Resources for continuous learning, career growth, and leadership development
- 8 paid holidays
- Paid Time Off (first year prorated depending on start date)
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Guild education benefit funds 100% of tuition, books, and fees in designated programs
- Colleague Resource Groups (CRGs) and give-back/volunteer opportunities
- Empowerment and autonomy to perform impactful work with tangible results
Now is an exciting time for a Macy's career as we continue to focus on creating exciting and memorable experiences for every Macy's customer, whether their journey starts online or in the store. Our opportunities in Sales, Merchandise, Operations, Customer Service, Warehouse, Marketing, and other areas let you express your creativity and commitment to excellence, grow your career and make a difference to your Macy's colleagues and customers.
Bring your creativity, energy, and ideas to the Macy's team – Apply Today!
This job description is not all-inclusive. Macy's, Inc. reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. Macy's, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.
This position may be eligible for performance-based incentives/bonuses. Benefits include 401k, medical/vision/dental/life/disability insurance options, PTO accruals, Holidays, and more. Eligibility requirements may apply based on location, job level, classification, and length of employment. Additional benefit details are available at macysJOBS.com.