Associate Designer - Philadelphia, PA (hybrid)
United By Blue is looking for an Associate Designer to focus on developing our women’s assortment and support with other categories as needed. If you are passionate about product, experienced in design, love the outdoors/sustainability and align with the mission of our brand, consider joining us to learn more about our highly creative, entrepreneurial environment. This position is hybrid - some in-office time will be required weekly at our headquarters in Philadelphia, PA.
What You’ll Do:
- Be able to independently design and develop concepts for presentation and review with the Senior Design Manager and GMM at sketch review and with broader leadership at line review meetings, with a good understanding of end use and our target customer profile, outfitting, price tiering, seasonal commercial needs as directed by GMM, and fabric direction and sustainable materials
- Participate in trend reports preparation with the Design team for designated categories
- Show clear direction for how trends can or should apply to UBB business
- Independently manage the design and development of product selected for the season to meet target retails with oversight from Senior Design Manager as needed
- Have a good understanding of sourcing process, fabric development and development requests for the assigned categories, be able to work cross functionally with the Design team to share fabrics and build cohesive stories across the line
- Prepare all women’s tech packs, spec sheets, and complete all technical sketches.
- Participate in communication and follow up with vendor partner as needed
- Participate in development and execution of trim and artwork packages
- Participate in fittings, providing fit feedback and direction in collaboration with Technical Designer, and Senior Design Manager for designated categories and/or divisions
- Execute clear fit direction through spec and design pack communication with factories to achieve brand right fit for all products
- Have a strong understanding of the apparel development calendars for wholesale, special projects and mainline.
- Be able to prioritize work based on the calendar to hit deadlines in a timely manner
- Begin to develop understanding of relevant business information for your designated categories and or divisions, and learn to apply business information to future design choices and development strategies
- Be a company resource for new and innovative design and material opportunities when it comes to sustainable fashion
- Execute seasonal and SMU design development projects as needed
Who You Are:
- You love designing and being around product!
- You have at least 3 or more years of design experience
- You have a discerning eye for trend, color and fabric research, and can bring new and innovative ideas to the brand while keeping the core customer and brand identity of United by Blue in mind
- Ability to sketch or digitally communicate designs across categories and or divisions with a keen eye for opportunities new products and business
- Have a strong ability to design to mean cost targets.
- Ability to execute on business objectives with creative and cost-effective design solutions, with a clear understanding of business needs and opportunities
- Solid understanding of the United By Blue brand with knowledge of the competitive landscape
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Strong communication and written skills
- Ability to work well within a small team environment; demonstrating strong interpersonal skills and effective cross departmental collaboration
- Be able to effectively work outside your designated categories and or division with cross departmental partners to ensure all teams are able to execute at the highest level
- Expert understanding of Adobe Illustrator
- Must be legally eligible to work in the US
Please email your resume, portfolio and a brief statement explaining why you feel you’re a good fit for the position to [email protected]