Associate Designer, Color
For the past 22 years, we’ve committed ourselves and our brand to a single aim: to empower all women and girls. Inspiration. Collaboration. Connection. Inclusivity. It’s what we do best, and we’re on the hunt for people who share our passion for leading an active lifestyle, growing personally as well as professionally, and creating game-changing products and experiences.
We use business as a force for good by putting people and the planet right up there with profit, which is why Athleta is a certified B Corp. Ready to make a move? Join us. Because we know that alone we’re strong, but together we’re unstoppable.About The Role
The Associate Color Designer sits within the Concept Team – their focus lies in the art and the science of color to create a compelling consumer experience at retail. They will work closely with the Apparel Design Team to own and execute the coloring of apparel and accessory collections from initial palette selection to commercialization. They will report into the Senior Color & Concept Designer, assisting in establishing Athleta’s holistic expression of color, from the master palette to specific end-use and capsule palettes, as well as special projects. The role requires close cross-functional partnership to ensure our products are beautiful, technical and sustainable.
What You'll Do
- Assist Senior Color & Concept Designer in building and maintaining the creative color tools for each season. Conducts art and design research, keeping informed of all relevant trends
- Create category color palettes with flow & outfitting strategies that express an optimistic and sophisticated color point of view while also supporting overall business goals and strategy
- Who you are
- Dynamic, team-oriented attitude; positive energy with an ability to take feedback
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, being able to juggle multiple seasons at one time
- Curiosity to explore new ideas
- Strong sense of style/outfitting color with a considered aesthetic and eye toward detail
- Elevated sense of color, knowledge of color theory, familiarity with active-wear fabrications and apparel design processes, and a strong connection to art and design trends
- Proficiency in Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign; 3D design software knowledge a plus!
- Confident presentation skills, capable of influencing an audience
- Well-crafted communication and organizational skills; strong detail orientation, project management and prioritization skills, inclusive of tracking development deadlines
- Minimum of 3+ years experience in apparel design; Bachelor Degree or higher in Fashion Design program
- Create and maintain digital and physical color tools: swatch palettes, inspiration boards, key looks, color CADs, and lab dips for core and novelty fabrications
- Color the line for respective category in collaboration with Design and Merch; own updating color work throughout all seasonal gates
- Build key partnerships with Apparel Design, Surface Design, Merchandising, and Fabric R&D to provide color design support & guidance to teams throughout all stages
- Collaborate with technical Color Analyst and vendors to secure palettes and lab dips
- Have an understanding of the line plan and color asks and how it factors in store delivery, volume, material, and end-use
- Proactively communicate color changes and updates – this includes close partnership with Merchandising and Visual Merchandising to help protect color POV in omni and retail channels
Who You Are
- Ability to work in a fast paced, dynamic, and highly collaborative environment, with the ability to juggle multiple seasons at one time and track development deadlines
- Possess an elevated sense of style, aesthetic, and color and understand how to translate trends through the lens of the customer and brand filter
- Thorough knowledge of silhouette, fit, fabrication, construction, color use, sewing techniques, and trim; applied knowledge of garment construction methods to design process.
- Strong computer knowledge including Adobe Illustrator and Microsoft Excel
- Present problem analysis and recommended solutions in a creative and logical manner
Benefits at Athleta
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
- For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.US Candidates – Non NYC
Please note that effective, June 30, 2022, Gap Inc. will no longer require any of its employees to wear face masks or require proof of COVID vaccination, unless required by local or state/provincial mandates or as part of Gap Inc’s quarantine guidelines after being exposed to or testing positive for COVID. Therefore, please disregard any language in any job posting that refers to Gap Inc.’s face mask and proof of vaccination policy as said policy is no longer effective.US Candidates – NYC
Beginning December 27, 2021 the City of New York requires all employees in the City who work on site to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless an exemption from the vaccine requirement is approved due to an accommodation for a disability, a sincerely held religious belief or other legally protected basis (including status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking or sex offenses).