Associate Designer, Color
We believe that being fit and active makes life richer and bigger than it could possibly be otherwise. And we’re always looking for people who share our passion for leading an active lifestyle, growing personally as well as professionally, and creating game-changing products and experiences.
Collaboration is a real thing here — because we know that individually we’re strong, but together we’re unstoppable. Athleta is a certified B Corporation, which means that we put people and planet right up there with profit, and we’re committed to using business as a force for good.
Job descriptionAbout the Role
The Associate Color Designer sits within the Concept Team - their focus lies in the art and the science of color to create a compelling consumer experience at retail. They will work closely with the Apparel Design Team to own and execute the coloring of apparel and accessory collections from initial palette selection to commercialization. They will report into the Senior Color & Concept Designer, assisting in establishing Athleta's holistic expression of color, from the master palette to specific end-use and capsule palettes, as well as special projects. The role requires close cross-functional partnership to ensure our products are beautiful, technical and sustainable.
What You'll Do
- Assist Senior Color & Concept Designer in building and maintaining the creative color tools for each season. Conducts art and design research, keeping informed of all relevant trends
- Create category color palettes with flow & outfitting strategies that express an optimistic and sophisticated color point of view while also supporting overall business goals and strategy
- Who you are
- Dynamic, team-oriented attitude; positive energy with an ability to take feedback
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, being able to juggle multiple seasons at one time
- Curiosity to explore new ideas
- Strong sense of style/outfitting color with a considered aesthetic and eye toward detail
- Elevated sense of color, knowledge of color theory, familiarity with active-wear fabrications and apparel design processes, and a strong connection to art and design trends
- Proficiency in Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign; 3D design software knowledge a plus!
- Confident presentation skills, capable of influencing an audience
- Well-crafted communication and organizational skills; strong detail orientation, project management and prioritization skills, inclusive of tracking development deadlines
- Minimum of 3+ years experience in apparel design; Bachelor Degree or higher in Fashion Design program
- Create and maintain digital and physical color tools: swatch palettes, inspiration boards, key looks, color CADs, and lab dips for core and novelty fabrications
- Color the line for respective category in collaboration with Design and Merch; own updating color work throughout all seasonal gates
- Build key partnerships with Apparel Design, Surface Design, Merchandising, and Fabric R&D to provide color design support & guidance to teams throughout all stages
- Collaborate with technical Color Analyst and vendors to secure palettes and lab dips
- Have an understanding of the line plan and color asks and how it factors in store delivery, volume, material, and end-use
- Proactively communicate color changes and updates - this includes close partnership with Merchandising and Visual Merchandising to help protect color POV in omni and retail channels
Who You Are
- Ability to work in a fast paced, dynamic, and highly collaborative environment, with the ability to juggle multiple seasons at one time and track development deadlines
- Possess an elevated sense of style, aesthetic, and color and understand how to translate trends through the lens of the customer and brand filter
- Thorough knowledge of silhouette, fit, fabrication, construction, color use, sewing techniques, and trim; applied knowledge of garment construction methods to design process.
- Strong computer knowledge including Adobe Illustrator and Microsoft Excel
- Present problem analysis and recommended solutions in a creative and logical manner