Associate Designer - Denim
FRAME is an American fashion brand renowned for its collections in denim, cotton, leather and cashmere.
The company’s founders Erik Torstensson and Jens Grede strive to design a modern versatile wardrobe through signature denim fits, cotton shirting and coveted leather pieces.
Since the brand’s inception in 2012 in Los Angeles, California, FRAME has evolved from making handcrafted denim to offering ready-to-wear and accessories collections in the finest natural materials.
FRAME is committed to sustainable and fair manufacturing practices, balancing profit with a commitment to people and planet.
Today, FRAME is sold through its own retail stores and e-commerce as well as through leading department stores and boutiques across the world.
Reporting to the Head of Denim Design, the Associate Designer will provide vital support to the Womens Denim Design Team. This role conducts research and assists the Design Team in the creation of new product in line with the overall product strategy for Denim.
- Assists with designing the Denim collection under the direction of the Head of Denim Design.
- Researches trends and brings newness and modernity to the FRAME aesthetic through inspiration and sketches presented to the Creative Director.
- Stay current on designer & premium denim marketplace while researching relevant color trends, fabric trends and new trims & garment details.
- Provides mood, inspiration, and conceptual on brand imagery to Creative Director continually
- Helps to manage the design process from initial sketch to production by checking boms in fittings, checking sms and protos against the sketches and tech packs
- Style set up in Full Circle and managing updates until shipping production.
- Hand sketching for sketch review to be presented to the Creative Director.
- Translating hand sketches into Illustrator for full circle set up and preparing styles for bulk production.
- Assist in building wash concept and details with Head of Denim
- Setting up wash briefs and reviewing with vendors
- Supporting the wear test process and collaborating with Product Development to stay on track and coordinate tools needed.
- Works with team to assure that design calendar deadlines are met and maintained.
- Works on product execution up to SMS handoff to Production and any post-handoff updates due to reallocation or changes needed for bulk transitioning.
- Owns assembling 30-50 skus seasonally from linesheet ownership to full circle set ups for sms tech packs, and proto tech packs sent directly to vendor from design.
- Attends fittings, works with the Tech team to ensure design intent and fits are properly executed. Updates sketches and tech packs accordingly from SMS through to production.
- Collaborates with Technical Designers and clearly communicates with overseas vendors to confirm desired garment construction and look.
- Meets with trim vendors and fabric mills to research new ideas, details and trends while being on brand and seasonally appropriate.
- Supports with the development of fellow colleagues and Interns, delivering relevant training and support when required.
- Assists the Design Team with day to day tasks including, sketching and competitor reports. Participates in fabric selections, sketch reviews, and concept downloads.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Minimum of 2-4 years of Fashion Design, specifically denim category experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Fashion Design or equivalent required.
- Exceptionally high taste level
- Strong hand sketching ability
- Detail oriented
- Knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator, Excel and Word needed
- Excellent verbal and written communicator.
- Strong team player, and ability to thrive in a fast paced, dynamic environment
- Positive attitude
- Interest in effective, efficient ways of working
- Great problem solving abilities
- Full circle knowledge a plus
- Interest in making sustainable product a plus