Associate Designer, Dresses & Skirts
This Associate Designer position is responsible for the creation of original product design through vision and illustration of design concepts into clothing appropriate for Talbots fashion-driven Dresses & Skirts Categories.
The starting salary range is $60,000 - $70,000.
What We Offer:
- Growth! Here at Talbots our goal is to give you the tools to grow beyond this position and into the next.
- Condensed Work Week! If we have no work obligations, our Life-Work balance approach allows for us to start our weekend at 1pm on Fridays.
- Complete Benefit Package! Our benefits kick off the first day of the month after your start date! Discover more about our full benefits package here. We have competitive time off, including paid time to volunteer within the community.
- Merchandise Discounts! 50% off Talbots and our Haven Well Within brand as well as local business discounts (where applicable)!
- Assists in identifying seasonal fashion direction, assortment opportunities and merchandise trends for area of responsibility.
- Serves as liaison between Design, Product Management and Technical Design and Merchandising to ensure information flow is accurate throughout the development process.
- Responsible for technical package process, to include drawings, measurements and design detail specifications and hands off to Technical Design.
- Maintains thorough knowledge of the line (silhouettes, fabrics and design details) and is responsible for tracking changes/additions.
- In Sr. Designer's absence, conducts fit sessions (first through fourth fits) and keeps supervisor informed.
- Maintains specification sheets, trim sheets and pitch sheets.
- Participates in concept presentation and line building recaps, in addition to line presentation.
- Assists in making Design presentation boards.
- Researches competitive market and presents results and ideas to Sr. Designer.
- Assists in executing designs to the Conceptual Assortment Plan slots while staying within the pre-determined development ratios.
- Continues to develop and increase understanding of Talbot’s customer.
- Builds collaborative relationships with vendors and internal clients.
- Interfaces professionally and works effectively in group settings.
- Mentors, coaches and counsels direct reports on performance expectations.
- Key partners include: Product Management, Merchandising, Fabric and Color teams, Technical Design, and vendors.
- Knowledge and experience at a level normally acquired through the completion of a bachelor’s degree
- 3-5 years of related experience
- Independent, self-motivated, and detail-oriented
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Must be highly organized
- Able to prioritize and multi-task in a fast-paced office environment
- Must be highly collaborative in a team environment
- Strong work ethic
- Proficient with computer programs including Photoshop, Illustrator, and Microsoft Office and Microsoft Teams
- Experience with PLM systems