We believe that being fit and active makes life richer and bigger than it could possibly be otherwise. And we’re always looking for people who share our passion for leading an active lifestyle, growing personally as well as professionally, and creating game-changing products and experiences.
Collaboration is a real thing here — because we know that individually we’re strong, but together we’re unstoppable. Athleta is a certified B Corporation, which means that we put people and planet right up there with profit, and we’re committed to using business as a force for good.
About the Role
At Athleta, our mission is to ignite a community of active, healthy, confident women and girls who empower each other to reach their limitless potential. We're looking for those who continually push themselves to be their best while celebrating inclusivity & diversity, sustainability, innovation, and equality. We concept and create solves with the customer at our core. We work as a team and recognize the value of being a part of something bigger.
As an Associate Designer for Accessories, you will contribute to four seasonal collections per year, as well as additional capsule collections and special projects. You will report into the Design Director of Accessories, work closely with the Design Team, and partner with cross functional team members who collectively are responsible for creating innovative product that is famous for its sustainable technical beauty.
What You'll Do
- Research global markets in order to identify new trends, pieces, fabrics, techniques, embellishments, collaborations, and sport
- Support Design Director in initiating designs beginning with thorough research to communicate seasonal trend & inspiration
- Support Design Director in balancing fashion & trend within the line plan - drive core category evolution and development of emerging businesses opportunities
- Assist in design innovation and high-level brand strategy exploration: research and create mock-up briefs in collaboration with Design Director
- Ownership in building all seasonal tools (using programs such as Illustrator, InDesign, and Miro) and updating throughout each seasonal gate
- Sketch in 2D with Illustrator software; hand sketching a plus; 3D sketching ability an advantage
- Partner with Product Engineering to tech pack and communicate vision behind fit & design, ensuring execution, quality, and desired margin targets
- Pre-fit prototypes (ensuring fit intent, styling, constructions); participate in weekly fittings
- Work with Product Engineering to elevate construction, craft techniques and considered design language with performance end-use principles
- Own tech pack creation and BOM component list; partner closely with Product Engineering throughout the season with a focus on the details in order to create beautiful, elevated products
- Assist in submitting sample proto requests each season and communication with our offsite development team
- Attend all cross functional meetings and provide thorough recap/follow up for Designer/Lead
Who You Are
- Dynamic, team-oriented attitude; positive energy with an ability to take feedback
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, being able to juggle multiple seasons at one time
- Curiosity to explore new ideas
- Strong sense of style and color with a considered aesthetic with an eye toward detail
- Thorough knowledge of silhouette, fit, fabrication, and construction
- Proficiency in Illustrator and Photoshop with an understanding of PLM; 3D design software knowledge a plus!
- Confident presentation skills, capable of influencing an audience
- Well-crafted communication and organizational skills, inclusive of tracking development deadlines
- Ability to travel globally for factory visits, trend/tradeshows, design meetings, etc.
- Minimum of 3+ years experience in apparel design