Associate Designer, Footwear
The Associate Designer for Footwear is responsible for creating innovative product designs through the seasonal vision and illustration of design concepts into an accessories and non-apparel collection appropriate for the Talbots customer. This position reports to the Senior Designer.
What We Offer:
- Growth! Here at Talbots our goal is to give you the tools to grow beyond this position and into the next.
- Condensed Work Week! If we have no work obligations, our Life-Work balance approach allows for us to start our weekend at 1pm on Fridays.
- Complete Benefit Package! Our benefits kick off the first day of the month after your start date! Discover more about our full benefits package here. We have competitive time off, including paid time to volunteer within the community.
- Merchandise Discounts! 50% off Talbots and our Haven Well Within brand as well as local business discounts (where applicable)!
The starting salary range is $60,000 to $70,000.
What You’ll Do:
- Partner with the Senior Designer and design leadership to ensure all footwear designs are aligned with the seasonal brand strategy. This is a ready to wear collection driven assortment of handbags, ability to pivot and evolve designs as collection shifts is paramount. Wardrobing, collaborating and coordinating back to the ready to wear collection is key.
- Assist in identifying seasonal fashion direction, assortment opportunities, and merchandise trends as it relates to the Talbots footwear customer.
- Serve as liaison between Design, Product Management, and Merchandising to ensure information flow is accurate throughout the development process. Strong collaboration and partnering skills necessary in order to be successful.
- Responsible for all aspects of technical design package process, to include drawings, measurements and design detail specifications, and hand offs to product development partner. A good grasp of footwear construction and leather goods is important.
- Maintain thorough knowledge of the line (silhouettes, yarns/fabrics and design details) and is responsible for tracking changes/additions.
- Maintain specification sheets, trim sheets, and pitch sheets.
- Participate in concept presentation and line building recaps, in addition to line presentation
- Assist in making Design Presentation Boards.
- Research competitive market and present results and ideas.
- Assist in executing designs to the Conceptual Assortment Plan slots while staying within the pre-determined development ratios.
- Continue to develop and increase understanding of Talbot’s customer.
- People Management
- Build collaborative relationships with vendors and internal clients
- Interface professionally and work effectively in group settings
- Key partners include: Product Development and Sourcing, Merchandising, Fabric and Color teams, and Vendors
- Knowledge and experience at a level normally acquired through the completion of a bachelor’s degree
- 3-5 years of related experience in footwear
- Independent, self-motivated, and detail-oriented
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Must be highly organized
- Able to prioritize and multi-task in a fast-paced office environment
- Must be highly collaborative in a team environment
- Strong work ethic
- Proficient with computer programs including Photoshop, Illustrator, and Microsoft Office (Excel is a must)
- Experience working in PLM, a plus