Associate Designer, Girls
For the past 22 years, we’ve committed ourselves and our brand to a single aim: to empower all women and girls. Inspiration. Collaboration. Connection. Inclusivity. It’s what we do best, and we’re on the hunt for people who share our passion for leading an active lifestyle, growing personally as well as professionally, and creating game-changing products and experiences.
We use business as a force for good by putting people and the planet right up there with profit, which is why Athleta is a certified B Corp. Ready to make a move? Join us. Because we know that alone we’re strong, but together we’re unstoppable.
About The RoleAs an Associate Designer, you will contribute to four seasonal collections per year, as well as additional capsule collections and special projects. You will report into the Senior Designer, work closely with the Design Team, and partner with cross functional team members who collectively are responsible for creating innovative product that is famous for its sustainable technical beauty.
What You'll Do
- Research global markets to identify new trends, silhouettes, fabrics, techniques, craft, collaborations, sport, and wellness; filtered for Girl’s activewear and performance lifestyle.
- Support Designer/Lead in initiating designs beginning with thorough research to communicate seasonal trend & inspiration
- Support Designer/Lead in balancing fashion & trend within the line plan - drive core category evolution and development of emerging businesses opportunities
- Assist in design innovation and high-level brand strategy exploration; research and create mock-up briefs in collaboration with Designer/Lead
- Ownership in building all seasonal tools (using programs such as Illustrator, InDesign, and Miro) and updating throughout each seasonal gate
- Sketch in 2D with Illustrator software; hand sketching a plus; 3D sketching ability an advantage
- Partner with Product Engineering to create tech packs and communicate vision behind fit & design, ensuring execution, quality, and desired margin targets
- Pre-fit prototypes (ensuring fit intent, styling, constructions); participate in regular fittings
- Work with Product Engineering to elevate construction, craft techniques and considered design language with performance end-use principles
- Own tech pack creation and BOM component list; partner closely with Product Engineering throughout the season with a focus on the details in order to create beautiful, elevated products
- Assist in submitting sample proto requests each season and communication with our offsite development team
- Attend all cross functional meetings and provide thorough recap/follow up for Designer/Lead
Who You Are
- Dynamic, team-oriented attitude; positive energy with an ability to take feedback
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, being able to juggle multiple seasons at one time
- Curiosity to explore new ideas
- Curiosity and interest in youthful generations and the sociocultural trends that motivate and engage them.
- Strong sense of style and color with a considered aesthetic with an eye toward detail, with an understanding of how to approach through a youthful lens.
- Thorough knowledge of silhouette, fit, fabrication, and construction
- Proficiency in Illustrator and Photoshop with an understanding of PLM; 3D design software knowledge a plus!
- Confident presentation skills, capable of influencing an audience
- Well-crafted communication and organizational skills, inclusive of tracking development deadlines
- Ability to travel globally for factory visits, trend/tradeshows, design meetings, etc.
- Minimum of 3+ years experience in apparel design (Girl experience a plus!); Bachelor’s degree or higher in Fashion Design program
Benefits at Athleta
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
- For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Human Rights Campaign for the seventeenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2021 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the fourth year in a row.