Associate Designer, Handbags & Small Leather Goods
The Designer for Handbags and Small Leather Goods is responsible for creating innovative product designs through the seasonal vision and illustration of design concepts into an accessories and non-apparel collection appropriate for the Talbots customer. The Designer will be instrumental in ensuring the designs are delivered in a timely fashion and within costs while maintaining quality and brand aesthetic.
What We Offer:Growth!Our goal is to give you the tools to grow beyond this position and into the next here at Talbots!
Flexible Fridays!Our Life-Work balance approach allows for us to start our weekend at 1pm on Fridays.
Competitive Benefit Package!Our benefits kick off day 31, no waiting period for Health, Vision, Dental or 401K.
Generous Discounts!50% off Talbots and Haven Brands as well as local business discounts!
Who You Are:
- Design the following categories but not limited to: handbags, soft leather goods
- Research global, domestic and competitive markets to identify new trends, fabrics and techniques
- Accountable for departmental development and adoption ratios
- Ensure that product is consistent with market trends while maintaining the Talbots brand integrity and business strategy
- Execute silhouette, technical fit and styling direction
- Partner with Merchandising and Sourcing teams to set seasonal framework and ensure creative ideas and business goals are in tandem
- Set seasonal materials and color direction, working with Sourcing on research and development qualities
- Adheres to cross-functional calendar and attends all meetings as required
- Create and oversee execution on tech packs and BOMs; adhere to development deadlines
- Continues to develop and increase understanding of Talbots customer
- People Management:
- Responsible for the recruiting, development and retention of team members
- Mentors, coaches and counsels direct reports on performance expectations
- Provides a positive, challenging work environment Recognizes and rewards talent and accomplishments of direct reports
- Key partners include: Sourcing, Merchandising, Vendors and Agents
- Degree in Art and/or Design
- 7+ years of Accessories experience with an emphasis on handbags and leather goods
- Superior sketching ability with strong Illustrator skills
- Knowledge in CAD design preferred
- Strong proficiency with Mac platforms
- Ability to understand merchandising, sales and branding components to successfully execute a strong accessories collection that marries back to the apparel collection
- Strong communication skills and ability to positively influence partners and team (internally and externally) – ability to articulate and sell an idea.